Chapter Ten: A Planned Escape

They got back to the village and Virgil glares as it looks like the entire village was awoken for Janus' capture. It's sickening. He glances back at his father with that harsh look, but the Chieftain isn't impressed. Remus glances around at everyone, "Why are they all up?"

"To make a spectacle of him.." Virgil growls lowly, clenching his hands into fists.

Zaphrina puts a hand on Remus' shoulder, murmuring to him as she leads him away to their hut, "Come, my child, it's time to sleep."

Whispers erupt through the villagers as they see Janus for the first time. Virgil glares at his father again, feeling like he can't breath as he sees Janus isn't resisting anymore. The Chieftain addresses his people, "The cursed one has put our children in danger, bewitching them to accompany him."

"That's bullshit!" Virgil gasps, "He hasn't done anything!"

"Virgil.." Talyn puts their hand on his shoulder and he looks at his sibling in surprise. When had they gotten beside him? Virgil frowns and glares at his father again as the Chieftain ignored his outburst, "Please return to your homes and sleep. I will see to the cursed one's holding, and at dawn, the end of his life."

Virgil's eyes widen and he stares in horror, all protests trapped in his throat. Talyn squeezes his shoulder lightly, trying to comfort him but it doesn't really help. The whispers and murmurs continue before fading as everyone goes back into their homes. The Elders disperse and the Chieftain orders Janus be contained.

"Janus!" Virgil gasps, taking a step forward before he's stopped. Janus raises his head slightly and for a single moment, their eyes meet and then Janus is taken away. The Chieftain turns his dark gaze on his children, "Go home. Now."

Talyn mutters an agreement and walks away. Virgil glares defiantly, "You're wrong about him. He hasn't done anything wrong. He hasn't bewitched me or anything, he's my friend!"

"I am not entertaining this, Virgil. Go home or I will make you." His father states darkly.

Virgil continues to glare, "Let him go."

The Chieftain grabs Virgil by the arm roughly, dragging him back home. Virgil tries to resist, but he's nowhere near as strong as his father. He's left alone once he's been returned to his room and he sits on his bed, glaring at the floor. This just isn't fair, Janus is innocent but no one will listen. Virgil groans and runs a hand through his hair, pulling at some of the strands harshly, "I have to save him, this is all my fault."

The young dragonwitch is lost on what to do. If he rescues Janus, he'll surely be an outcast, too but if he does nothing Janus will die. Virgil purses his lips and his hands clench into fists as they rest on his lap. I need to think of something. Anything. This can't be allowed to happen. He takes a deep breath, a quick plan formulating in his mind. It wasn't the best plan, but it'll have to be enough, he doesn't have time to dwell on it. He stands and leaves his room quietly as not to alert his family of his departure.

He creeps across the hut to Talyn's room, peeking his head inside and seeing them lying in bed with their back to him, he fully enters the room, glancing around quickly. He finds what he's looking for, Talyn's conduit crystal lying on the dresser. Virgil walks over and carefully picks it up, careful not to let the delicate rock make any noise as he lifts the string attached to it with his other hand. The crystal glows a soft purple in his hands, illuminating his face and reflecting off the galactic look of his eyes.

"Virgil..?"

Virgil tenses, holding his breath as he glances towards the sound of his name. Talyn is sitting up in bed now, staring at him curiously. Their eyes flicker to the crystal in his hands before back to his face, "That's mine."

Virgil swallows and takes a step away from them, whispering, "I'm sorry. I need it."

"To save him, right?" Talyn frowns lightly, "Where's yours?"

Virgil doesn't answer that and a knowing look crosses his sibling's eyes. They sigh softly, whispering back to him, "I'm not going to stop you. If asked, I was asleep when you stole it. Be careful, Virgil, just make sure you know what you're doing, I don't want to see your head on a pike some day."

Without another word, they lie back down and Virgil stands there in stunned silence for a moment. He whispers his thanks and when Talyn doesn't reply, Virgil takes his leave. Slipping the crystal around his neck, he quickly leaves the house, looking around. The village is quiet and dark, whatever he was going to do, he had to do it before he got caught because he's sure he won't get a second try. He spots the tent that had been set up to house Janus until dawn and he heads towards it, quickly casting an invisibility magic over himself, the crystal resting on his chest glowing that same deep purple briefly before his being disappears from sight.

Sneaking into the tent was easy, but now he really has to be careful, because Janus isn't the only one inside. Two of the elders are inside, older men Virgil's seen many times around the village but he's never cared enough to learn their names. They weren't old persay, but older than his father. One had mismatched galactic eyes, one a bright cerulean, the other a forest green. He had long white hair and wore the same white robes all the elders wore. The second man was a little shorter  with choppy shoulder length brown hair. His eyes however were pure black with that same galaxy style they all shared. Neither man looked happy to be here and in the center of the tent was Janus, his hands tied behind him around a pole that was holding up the very tip of the tent's roof.

Janus was sat, staring at the ground between his feet and Virgil crept over to him as silently as he could. He's careful to keep his steps light to avoid leaving too obvious of footprints. He could be invisible, but he couldn't erase his physical steps all together. Honestly the plan he had was pretty dumb, and he highly doubts it will work, but it's the best he's got so he's fully prepared to wing it should things go awry. Virgil stands still, holding his breath as the white haired man stands. The brunet chuckles at him, "Bathroom break already, Yara?"

Janus doesn't bother sparing them a glance. The white haired man, Yara scoffs and rolls his eyes before continuing his leave from the tent. The brunet chuckles to himself, shaking his head lightly and Virgil slowly releases the breath he was holding. Janus suddenly tenses, raising his head as he had heard the exhale Virgil let out next to him. Janus' hetrochomatic eyes narrow slightly, but he makes no move to suggest he knows anything. With Janus sitting a little straighter, Virgil can see the pink crystal he had given Janus is still around his neck and he's surprised his father or the elders had let him keep it.

Virgil turns his gaze on the brunet man, he doesn't have time to waste, who knows when Yara will come back. He raises his hand, slowing and softly drawing in a deep breath as he tries to conjure his magic to put the elder before him to sleep. Soft, purple twinkling lights shimmer from Virgil's fingertips and dance around the elder, causing the man to yawn and rub his eyes. The man, nor Janus makes any reaction to show they can see Virgil's magic at work, so the young dragonwitch keeps at it. Not too long after the spell started, the man falls asleep, slumping forward where he sat, his hair cascading across his face as he softly snores.

Virgil sighs and drops his hands, turning to Janus, who's looking right at him despite not being able to see him through the invisibility spell. Virgil just smiles and moves behind him to start untying the ropes binding his friend to the post. He can't get them untied, so he frowns and ignites a small purple flame in his hand and uses that to fray the ropes instead, being careful not to burn Janus in the process.

Janus stands when he's freed and he grunts softly, "Are you going to keep hiding so I can't thank my savior?"

Virgil dispells his invisibility, his crystal still glowing that hue of lilac before it fades with the end of his magic use.

"You're not a fool." Janus growls softly, his eyes unreadable.

Virgil shrugs and gestures for Janus to follow and together they make their escape, not a moment too soon as only minutes later, Yara returned and sounded the alarm.