Out of the sky motherfuckers

War, war,
What kind of a lady are you
That they follow you, that the painted boys follow you?
That they follow you, that painted boys follow you? - A fragment of a Polish military song Wojenko Wojenko

Skies over the Empire of Parpaldia
14 March 1975 P.C/ 1640 C.C.Y
5:48

20 Polish An-26 transport planes, carrying parachutists from 6th Pomeranian Airborne Division, pierced the calm night sky

They flew high, but slowly lowered the ceiling in order to safely drop the parachutists to the ground. Each of the planes carried a total of 30 paratroopers together with first supplies that were to last them until the arrival of the next wave at dawn.

In the first wave a total of 600 soldiers were to land around the Parpaldian capital. And on that day a total of 2600 paratroopers were to fall to the ground. Of course, due to the lack of solid airfields, they could not be supported by the heavy equipment available to the divisions. Another thing was that the aerial bombardment that had been going on since December of the previous year had destroyed all the places where the Parpaldi land dragons could be and had been seen in the area.

If anything, there was a Su-7 Regiment waiting at Altaras airfield, assigned to support the paratroopers. Returning to the An-26s, they flew high above the clouds to hide their flight from the enemy, their speed at the time of the landing being so low that there was a risk of interception by enemy vivos, or at least their fastest type. The commanders preferred to be cautious and assume that the Parpaldians had managed to hide them somewhere to try and intercept the unknown planes.

So far, the only planes that flew bombing raids were jets. The Il-28 showed its advantages and disadvantages and after reverse engineering it began to be produced by PZL for use by the air force. Additionally, a heavier version carrying more bombs began to be developed. The reason for this is the problem with starting production of the Su-20, the Su-7 was considered obsolete for production and too weak unlike the Su-20 and their role is easily filled by the Il-28.

The paratroopers themselves were nervous, after all, it was their first serious action, yes, a landing in a country with weaker technology, but one with numbers, if something went wrong, they would be flooded with bodies, literally. Two battalions were to land and the whole operation was to be commanded by Colonel Maciej Szałanski from 10th Battalion, the second battalion was 16th Battalion commanded by Major Włodzimierz Bielski.

"Repeating for the last time for your memory." Said Lieutenant Wolski loudly to his men from his Platoon from the 16th Battalion. The soldiers looked at their Lieutenant waiting to see what he would say. "We will be as you know dropped north of their capital Esthirant near a village called Torunt. Our job is to occupy that village and cut off the town from the bombed out fortress and the road north of the capital. Remember the terrain will be hilly and will be divided by forests around the fields." Wolski said.