Shadow from the west.

War is a dirty business, but our business - General Gra Valkas Danorl Deyhan

Great Imperium Gra Valkas

June 25, 1947 G.V.C.

Dependent Territory of Leifor.

Leiforia

"What are you selling there kid?" Riddled the young boy was Lelan Lemul a rifleman from the 41st Infantry Division of the Gra Valkas Empire. A garrison division that is stationed in the capital of the former Commonwealth of Leifor.

The child, about the age of ten jumped slightly before replying in a slightly frightened tone, "Pipes please sir."

The soldier furrowed his brow "And where are your parents?" Seeing more fright he cursed in thought after Valkas and added in a very calm tone slowly in his medium knowledge of Leiforian "Don't be afraid boy, I'm just asking, a kid like you shouldn't be here selling pipes by yourself."

The boy looked at him deeply then lowered his head "My parents are dead sir."

Whereupon he surprised the soldier with his screeched, "By your fellow airborne motherfuckers who bombed our town." Then terrified, he fell to the ground and tried to apologize

"Sorry, sir, I hadn't..." he interrupted as to his amazement the soldier suddenly laughed.

"You have fortitude boy, you have it in you." He smiled at him showing his straight white teeth. He then bent his knees to equal his height. "Got anyone else?"

The boy after a long moment with a less fearful tone than a moment ago replied "Just my aunt and her daughter please." After which he bowed his head again "My aunt unfortunately is ill and cannot work as she used to, so she recommended me to her friend who has sorry had a tobacco store. He gave me the job."

The soldier nodded "And this cousin of yours can't help you?" The boy shook his head "No sir, she is only four years old."

Lelan looked at him a moment, then checked the price of the packs of cigarettes and asked so browsing, "And aren't you afraid to stand here by yourself like this?"

The boy shook his head "No sir, Mr. Byliyi where I work looks in here from time to time." Then he tilted his head slightly to the left and added more cheerfully, "Besides, this place is full of soldiers sir, no one is stupid enough to steal here."

Lelan looked around the square and had to admit the little one was right, compared to many other places this road was quite filled with military junk. And also the order was much better compared to other parts of the city, almost all the debris after the shelling of their battleship and the landing of the marines had been cleaned up.

"Alright boy, then give with five, don't wait ten of these Pryluks and five Parliaments" He pointed his finger for more certainty.

The boy nodded and packed the right amount into a commercial bag then handed it to the soldier with his right hand while he waited for the money in his left "That will be 240 Arlodes please sir."

The soldier pulled out his wallet and, after counting down, gave three hundred dollars on his hand taking the bag from the kid.

The boy quickly calculated the change needed and as he was about to hand it over the soldier stopped him "You know what boy, the change is yours alright?"

The little boy wondered "Really?"

Lelan nodded "Yes."

With a smile on his lips, the boy hid the money in his pocket. Then he waved to the departing soldier.