Social Cues

At lunch I was sent to the principal's office to 'discuss' what went on during the field trip. I gave some abbreviations and it seemed that since the Avengers had backed my statement, I for once wasn't being thrown under the bus and told to deal with it. At least not blatantly.

"We will have the parties in question reviewed for their violent outburst." The principal had told me. And with that my heart sank like a ship attacked by pirates. Because statements like that never include nepotism.

When I was in the hallways the same four bullies were still out policing the lockers, looking for anyone unlucky enough to torment, but they avoided my radius, which was probably for the best. I was about ready to knock someone's teeth out particularly theirs and that would certainly call for another 'review'. Sure they weren't the direct cause of my stupid decisions but I liked to think that they were at least partly responsible.

Just make it through the day. Breathe. Doable.

When finally school was released I went outside. There was a sleek navy Audi with tinted windows waiting for me.

That has got to be a joke.

It wasn't a joke.

The window rolled down and a decidedly grumpy voice told me to get in.

I hopped into the back seat, god this was a bad idea. As soon as I hit the seat seat I felt the luxury radiating from it. Soft black leather, reflective windows, and a sound deadening effect that hushed the bustle of New York.

"Wow" I breathed, too afraid to even touch anything.

"Seatbelt." The driver ordered and I obeyed, leaning back into the comfort of the seats.

"So why are you called happy?" I asked the sour looking man driving. In response he rolled up a reflective screen between the front and the back. That was passive aggressive.

The drive to the tower drove me crazy. At more than one spot I toyed with the idea of just jumping out of the car and running back to tell my Father I had made the biggest mistake of my life. My other idea was to jump out of the car while on a bridge, but that idea didn't sit real well with me either. I weighed my options. Tell my father now, dead. Tell my father later, possibly get killed by Avengers. In summary my choices were dead now or dead later and I love to procrastinate.

"Kid!" I jerked and looked up to the sour driver. "You can get out." I looked out the window. We were in a parking garage, surrounded by fancy cars ranging from motorcycles to a 1967 Chevy Corvette. I had arrived.

this felt like this was a pipe dream, or nightmare, I couldn't tell which. It was like sweet revenge, the feeling you get when you do something you know you shouldn't, just because you know you shouldn't, and at the same time it felt like a childish tantrum. But this place was cool. Everything floor to ceiling was state of the art, brand new and flashy.

It's just a quick check up. In and out. I can be productive later.

I hopped out dragging my backpack with me.

"The elevators over there." Happy pointed to some sliding doors. "Friday will take you where you need to go."
I nodded. "Thanks, Happy." I wink and step into the elevator.

Once I was in the elevator I mentally chided myself. Did I have to wink? I am going to get myself killed.

"Hello Ms. Emmerson!" Said an Irish voice. Friday. Right. No need to panic. "How are you today?"

"Um, I'm fine." She isn't alive is she? "Where am I being taken to?"

"You are being taken to the Avengers common room, where Mr. Stark and Mr. Barton are waiting."