Chapter 11: Future

The couple walked down the small road through the residential part of town. The street lights were beginning to flicker on as the long day settled and night crawled over the horizon.

Things were different now. It had been 5 years since Yamaguchi and Tsukishima got together. Now beginning their new careers after college, the two wanted to see their old town. Well, Yamaguchi did anyways. Tsukki did have memories connected to the gym, but he found moving on easier than his fiancé.

Yamaguchi and Tsukki arrive at the park. Here, the team would sometimes practice when it was nice out. Gone were those days, but new chapters opened up. It was hard for the team to leave Karasuno High and the family they created, but life goes on.

Yamaguchi sits on a bench and sighs in relief. They look over to their partner, who is staring off into the park. A blank stare per usual, but Yamaguchi could read it well.

"You seem excited to be back, Tsukki," they said. Tsukki scoffs under his breath before facing his fiancé.

"I'm not excited," he retorted with a slight grin on his face. Most would find it menacing, but not Yamaguchi. They could see the spark of joy and anticipation under his facade.

Tsukki sits down next to his partner, an arm around the back of the bench. He was never the type to be so open, but found serenity in being close to his partner like this.

"I remember practice at this park like it was yesterday...so much has changed in 5 years," Yamaguchi softly expresses. They grip their long skirt, almost hoping to touch the memory. They remember how things changed after coming out.

It was hard at first. Yamaguchi was not only queer, but so was Tsukki. Their queerness made them targets sometimes, but it was nothing the team wouldn't support. They all respected the couple and even expected their romance to bloom.

Tsukishima came to realize he was demisexual, demiromantic, and also loved Yamaguchi. Love was never a thought until that summer. When he found himself being tender towards his friend in a way he never thought possible, he found himself falling quickly in love. A feeling he never had prior. Learning more about Yamaguchi and their queer story made him realize his own queerness.

He loved Yamaguchi in all fashions. He loved how sweet and tender they looked in a dress, but also how confident they could be in a leather coat. Yamaguchi broke the limits of fashion and expression and Tsukishima adored every aspect of it. But he wouldn't admit that. At least not out loud. He would only give a soft look for a moment, filled with adoration. His poker face would soon return, but Yamaguchi could see that fleeting moment.

It was only a year ago Yamaguchi changed their pronouns to they/them. It was a hard change for many, as the extents of language and barriers made it a little harder. Not many people in Japan yet understood gender neutrality, but that didn't matter. As long as their friends knew and understood was all that mattered.

They used other pronouns as well, but they/them was their go-to for the last year. Maybe that'll change, being genderfluid is a constant state of change and expression.

And that's alright.

The two sat a moment, taking in the setting sun. This moment was fleeting when a shout from afar was heard. They both turned around to spot a mop of bright ginger hair. Yamaguchi stood up and waved.

"Hinata. Kagayama. So nice to see you both!" Yamaguchi happily said. Tsukki stood up at this point and smirked.

"I was wondering when you'd show up," Tsukishima coyly expressed. Kagayama's expression didn't change, but he held a volleyball under his arm while the other was around the redhead.

"Train was late." That's all the raven haired guy could say. Tsukki nodded.

"Yamaguchi, you look so nice! I love the skirt. And your hair is longer," Hinata said with sparkles in his eyes.

"Oh it's nothing! I got it when Tsukki visited Paris for his job," Yamaguchi said with flushed cheeks, which they hid with their hands.

The crew began to chat about their lives the last few years. Jobs, school, careers. Everything.

But eventually Kageyama set the volleyball down on the bench, making a loud thud.

"You didn't drive 2 hours just to talk about life, did you?" He spit out. Hinata nods.

"Right. You came for another match. Yeah? Well... let's do this!" The redhead said with fiery passion. Yamaguchi nodded and took the ball.

That's when more shouts were heard.

Soon the rest of the team showed up. All in a pack like old times. Yamaguchi's eyes sparkled with excitement.

"You weren't going to start without us, right?" Daichi laughed.

"Man, everyone is back together!" Hinata beamed. Tsukki smirked.

"Alright, alright. Let's cut the chatting and get this done with," he said, taking the ball. The lot went over to the old volleyball net still standing.

"You're not wearing that skirt, are you Yama?" Hinata asked the brunette. They laughed.

"You'd be surprised how agile I am in this."

It felt like a dream getting back into position. The team back together. Yamaguchi widened their stance and glanced over to their fiancé. Tsukki looked over and nodded. Even with the harsh expression Yama could see the excitement boiling over.

"Ready?!" Daichi exclaims. Yamaguchi lowers their body, getting ready for the set.

"Let's go!" All you could hear was the harsh sound of the volleyball being served.

"I got it!" Yamaguchi said as they sprint forward, their skirt flying back in the wind. An expression of determination plastered their facade. A chapter beginning.