Chapter 8

"Hey, we're going to go get some stuff from the convenience store. Wanna come with, Yamaguchi?" Hinata asks. He ties his hoodie around his waist since there's a warm wind after practice.

"I will. I'm just going to go change and use the bathroom. I'll meet you there," Yamaguchi replies. The others walk off, laughing. Kageyama gives Hinata a playful noogie.

Yamaguchi goes into the locker room and takes off his shirt. He looks at the bruise and touches it.

"Ugh..." he groans, unimpressed. He puts on new pants when the door opens. He turns and sees Tsukki. The teen blushes and holds his shirt in his arms.

"Tsukki, I thought you went with the others..." he begins.

"I thought I'd lend you my biofreeze, but it won't help with that," he begins, walking closer to his shirtless, shorter friend.

"Let me see it," Tsukki says. Yamaguchi shakes his head and backs up.

"It's just a bruise, Tsukki. Don't worry about it-"

"How did you get it?"

Yamaguchi frowns and grips his shirt.

Don't tell him

He'll get mad...

"Yamaguchi, I asked how you got it. Did someone do this to you? Hmm?" Tsukki pushes.

"Let's just go..." Yamaguchi finally says, beginning to put his shirt on. Tsukki stops him and pushes him into the locker. Not roughly, but with tension. Yamaguchi looks up.

"Let me be more specific...who did this to you..." Tsukki asks, an arm bracing his body over his friend's.

"I said let's go-"

"Cut it with that bullshit...! I know you're hiding something!" Tsukki yells.

Yamaguchi looks up and presses his hands firmly to his friend's chest to push him away.

"Tsukki, stop..."

"No! You stop!" Tsukki yells. He backs away and rubs his neck and shakes his head.

"I'm tired of you always keeping things from me. We're friends! I tell you everything and you should tell me everything too. It's fucking annoying when you do this. When you just keep to yourself and pretend things are ok. Why can't you just spit it out like me?!" He scolds. Yamaguchi tears up.

"Because I knew you'd get mad! You get mad at me all the time! I just want to protect you!" Yamaguchi yells back.

"You don't have to give up yourself for me! I can protect myself! You can't!" Tsukki retorts.

"Tsukki, I'm doing this for you! For the team!"

"Stop being so selfless! Just let me help you!"

"I don't want to see you get hurt! I want you guys to stay happy! I care about all of you!"

"I care about you too, you know!!" Tsukki says before leaning on the lockers. He rubs his eyes and frowns.

It's silent for some time. The air is thick with tension and the smell of sweat. The boys' thoughts and emotions are spiraling...

"You don't understand how much I hate seeing you in pain..." the blonde finally says.

Only once have I seen Tsukki get this emotional...

"I..." Yamaguchi manages to say. He moves closer to his friend, head low. He wraps his arms around his friend and hugs him warmly.

"I'm not going to fight with you...it gives me a headache..." Tsukki says in a low, soft voice. He hugs back.

"Are you going to tell the team...?" Yamaguchi asks quietly.

"No...but only if you let me help..." Tsukki replies. Yamaguchi tears up and nods. He buries his face in his friend's and sniffles.

"I'm sorry..." Yamaguchi mumbles.

Tsukki sighs and fixes his glasses, blinking away any forming tears, annoyed his friend is still acting so selfless...but he smiles.

"It's fine. Let's just go home."

~~~~
"That looks pretty gross..." Tsukki comments. Yamaguchi is sitting on the edge of the tub and he pouts.

"Rude..." Yamaguchi exhales. Tsukki puts some medicine on the bruise to help with the pain and healing process.

Tsukki is gentle and his cold fingertips feel good on the wound. Yamaguchi looks down.

"Stop moping. I'm not mad anymore..." Tsukki says. Yamaguchi leans back.

"Tsukki, will you stay the night...?" Yamaguchi asks hesitantly. Tsukki looks up.

"Do I have a choice? You'll beg me anyways," Tsukki says blandly. Yamaguchi pouts.

"You don't have to. I've just been sleeping bad and I know sometimes when you're around, I feel safer and calmer..." Yamaguchi confesses. Tsukki stands up, putting a cap on the medicine.

"It's very like the since we first met..." Tsukki begins.

He sits back, washing his hands off with a cloth.

"After we watched scary movies at sleepovers, you'd always crawl under or next to my sleeping bag because you were scared..." Tsukki finishes.

"Yeah, but..." Yamaguchi says, blushing. Tsukki sighs and gives Yamaguchi his shirt back.

"Here. I'll get my things and come back," Tsukki says before leaving quickly. Yamaguchi stares out the bathroom door.

"That was weird..." Softly says Yamaguchi.

Tsukki quickly runs off.

Just keep running.

Maybe this feeling in my chest will stop.

This feeling is weird.

It makes my face red, palms clammy, and my chest tighten

Good god, I better not get sick. I have volleyball and Yamaguchi to worry about

The still frame of Yamaguchi in the locker room sits in the young teen's mind

Whether is was the pain on his face, the large bruise, or whatever else, the photo still remains...

Tsukki stops at a crosswalk and looks up.

"No way...I can't do this all by myself..." He mumbles to himself before grabbing his phone, hurrying off.

I have an idea, but I'm gonna need backup...