Chapter 5

Yamaguchi wakes up to feel someone shaking him.

"Nyeh..." he whines as he sees Tsukki.

Tsukki has never been the person to wear anything of color or buy new clothes, but he's wearing a red and white baseball shirt with a dog tag necklace. The red matches his warm toned skin perfectly. He almost glows...

"I told you to be up," Tsukki complains, leaning over his friend. Yamaguchi faces him.

"Good morning to you too..."
Yamaguchi replies, yawning. Tsukki tilts his head and sighs.

He's so sassy in the morning. It's like he has no filter...

"Just get up so I can show you something."

And with that the blonde teen gets up and turns, grabbing something from the floor. Yamaguchi sits up, his hair in different directions. He rubs his eyes and Tsukki sets a black bag on his lap.

"Happy birthday, Yamaguchi."

Yamaguchi looks to the bag. It's fancy looking, not just a cheap birthday bag.

"I told you I didn't need a present," he says, still groggy. "And it's not my birthday yet."

"You're 1.) Not a good liar and 2.) Not the boss of me." he states, turning so they're shoulder to shoulder. "I was hoping you'd wear it today if you're feeling more feminine," he says casually. Yamaguchi nods and looks into his bright eyes.

"I am..."

Yamaguchi then proceeds to open the bag. He pulls out a beautiful sapphire blue sweater and a necklace with the Scorpio zodiac sign in silver and jewels in a velvety black box. Tsukki looks away, pink faced and embarrassed.

"Well just wear it or whatever. I bought it last night," Tsukki says. Yamaguchi smiles brightly.

"This is so pretty! Thank you Tsukki!"

"It was nothing-"

He's interrupted by Yamaguchi hugging him, arms around his neck. The freckled teen presses his cheek to his friends and smiles. Tsukki brings himself to hug him back for once.

It's his birthday after all...

Yamaguchi feels his friend's arms around his leaner body.

For how cold he acts, he's so warm...

"I'll totally wear this today. It'll look good with my white pants," Yamaguchi confesses, pulling away, but his hands remain on his friend's broad, strong shoulders.

"Mmhmm... Well I came early because of the gift and so you can get dressed up," Tsukki says, hands on his friend's slim hips. Yamaguchi nods.

"That would be great, but where are we going?" Yamaguchi asks, moving back to his spot on the bed. Tsukki leans against the headboard.

"It's just me, you, and the team going out for lunch for your birthday. They want you to be happy and feel safe as yourself today. I know you usually like these feminine clothes and feel feminine more than anything else, so I figured if you wore this with them they'd feel more comfortable and understand more about what it really means to be genderfluid," he says. "Of course, this sweater is labeled unisex anyways... But you don't mind, right?"

Yamaguchi smiles softly, heart beating strongly.

He seemingly understands what being genderfluid means to me... How it's a part of my being that doesn't define me, but expresses me.

He understands I love skirts and dresses, but also button ups and hoodies and band shirts.

He somehow knows how to handle this situation when I don't even understand it entirely myself

Tsukki... You're a great friend.

I'm glad you're so accepting of who I am regardless of how I represent myself and/or feel....

"Heh...I don't mind Tsukki..."
~~~~

By noon, Yamaguchi has his hair pulled up into a ponytail accompanied with his new sweater, necklace, and some black boots. Tsukki looks through his friend's closet

"What are you going, Tsukki?"

Tsukishima grabs a blue and white printed scarf and throws it at this friend's face.

"What's this for?" Yamaguchi asks. Tsukki closes the doors and goes over, fixing the scarf.

"It's cold out right now. If you get sick, you'll nag me to help make you feel better," he says coldly. Yamaguchi sighs.

"At least you care..." he says under his breath. Tsukki doesn't respond and finishes putting the scarf on his friend.

Yamaguchi looks into his tall mirror and turns a few times, looking at his outfit.

"I like this...! And you really know fashion," Yamaguchi claims, turning to his friend who has pink tinting his cheeks. "Thank you, Tsukki...!"

Tsukishima nods slowly and studies his friend.

"Blue is a nice color on you... You should wear it more often..." Tsukki says, ignoring his friend's previous compliment and gratitude. "Let's get going."

The two walk from the house and out into the clear afternoon. Everything seems to have lost half of its saturation from the clouds and grey sky, making the blue from Yamaguchi's sweater and the warm pink on Tsukki's cheeks stand out more. Even the slight chill from the wind doesn't bother them and their closeness as they move together at the same beat.

Tsukki pulls Yamaguchi into a sharp turn, towards the more busy side of town. People swarm around shop windows, move in and out of buildings, and talk amongst their friends and families. It's a nice place to be, but can become hard to handle easily.

Yamaguchi moves closer to Tsukki as they make their way through the crowd. A man who is not only tall, but built, comes their way. He isn't paying much attention and is just walking straight into people. A woman even scolds him for bumping her so hard. Tsukki pulls Yamaguchi under his arm to steer him clear of the man and then, in a swift move, into a building. Yamaguchi didn't stumble for a second while moving with Tsukki.

Yamaguchi finds they're in a nice restaurant and many people are inside. Tsukki lets go of his friend.

"That guy was a total airhead. He could have pushed you and stepped on you if he wanted..." Tsukki says under his breath, mumbling some other things Yamaguchi didn't understand. He then takes out a paper, about the size of a business card, and gives it to a hostess standing. She smiles.

"Follow me, if you would, please," she says in a carefree and upbeat tone. Yamaguchi nods and they follow her down a hallway. He thinks to himself.

This is a huge restaurant...there's even hallways and a downstairs...

The three come up to a room with several huge tables and the volleyball team is seen. Hinata is reaching for a balloon on the ceiling whilst on Kageyama's shoulders and Noya is putting sticky, premade bows on Tanaka's head. Suga is freaking out over Kageyama and Hinata and Daichi is setting up the presents.

When Yamaguchi turns, the woman is gone and so is Tsukki. He's moving into the room.

"This was supposed to be ready by now!" He complains to Hinata and Kageyama. Yamaguchi goes in and smiles confidently. Hinata turns to look at Tsukki, but he stares at Yamaguchi in awe.

Then he smiles and yells, "you look so pretty Yamaguchi! Happy birthday!"