Chapter 4

The next day, Tsukki keeps close to Yamaguchi. Thought they are usually side by side, Tsukki seems awfully angry today. During lunch, the volleyball team sits outside together to talk about practice and drills.

"-then we'll cool off with a jog. Sound good?" Daichi asks. The team acknowledges him with "yes, captain!" and nods.

Yamaguchi leans against the outer school wall with Tsukki by his side. Yamaguchi looks to his friend.

"Tsukki...?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm fine. Really."

Tsukishima rolls his eyes. He taps the end of his water bottle on the grass and looks to him. His face is calm, warm...

"Tsk...why are you telling me this? Do you see those jerks?" He asks, looking around. Only a group of three girls having lunch can be seen right now. Most people are inside today.

"No, but you seem really tense..." Yamaguchi admits, smiling a little. "I don't want you to worry about me. You should worry about volleyball and school and other things."

"I'm not worrying about you...jeesh...I have a headache..." he lies, leaning his head back. Yamaguchi smiles warmly.

I know you care Tsukki. That's why we're friends.

Yamaguchi stands up.

"I'll be back," he says, holding an empty water bottle in his hand. Tsukki looks up to him and purses his lips, as if thinking very hard suddenly. Yamaguchi walks off to the trash can.

"I'll come too!" Hinata yells as he runs off with Yamaguchi. Tsukki and Kageyama make eye contact and glare before quickly averting their eyes from one another.

"So, I wanted to say...," Hinata brings up. Yamaguchi puts a hand in his pocket and tilts his head.

"Hmm?" Yamaguchi asks, smiling as he throws the plastic bottle away. Hinata holds tight fists and sighs. The redhead looks up his teammate and blurts out his thoughts.

"I wanted to say that I totally support you for you Yamaguchi! Don't ever feel like you can't be yourself, especially around us...! We're your friends!" He says with a soft smile. Yamaguchi"s mouth hangs open a little bit, awed by his teammate's words.

"You don't think I'm weird?" Yamaguchi asks, gripping his short collar. Hinata laughs a little.

"We're all a little weird. We're a family..!" Hinata confesses, gripping the sleeves of Yamaguchi's shirt. Yamaguchi gives a heartfelt grin: one that someone who genuinely feels confidence and acceptance wears.

"Thanks, Hinata...That makes me feel better," Yamaguchi says. Hinata gives a caring pat on the shoulder.

~~~~
"So what did Shōyō and you talk about during lunch?" Tsukki asks as he walks home with Yamaguchi after volleyball practice.

"He just told me he supports me. It made me really happy to hear that," he replies. Tsukki nods slowly and walks close to his friend.

"That's good. He told the team he would wear a skirt for you if you wanted," Tsukki says casually. Yamaguchi laughs hard, holding onto Tsukki's shoulder.

"I can actually picture him doing that!" Yamaguchi replies as Tsukki continues to hold his freckled friend up.

"Yeah...he's an oddball..."

"And you're not? Should I mention your dinosaur collection to them? Oh! Or your dinosaur umbrella?" Yamaguchi jokes, giggling still. Tsukki' face turns pink and stares at him.

"I'll kill you if you say anything, Yamaguchi!" He threatens as Yamaguchi still laughs, now holding onto his tall friend's arm to hold himself up from laughing too hard. "I mean it! I'll stop buying you Milk Tea too! I'll drink I all myself!"

"Tsukki, you barely finish one bottle...! That's a waste of precious Milk Tea!"

"Then let's not mention my...prehistoric valuables...to anyone, especially on the volleyball team." He orders. Yamaguchi nods in understanding and they stop at the crosswalk.

Yamaguchi lets go of Tsukki and puts his hands on his pockets, smiling warmly and glancing at his friend.

"I'm going to stop at the store. I'll text you later," he says. Tsukki nods.

"Okay. You don't have to tell me that," he replies. Yamaguchi smirks.

"See ya," he says, crossing the road. Tsukki takes a step forward.

"What do you want for your birthday?" He shouts. Yamaguchi turns at the other side the road.

"You don't have to get me anything, silly," Yamaguchi says from the other side. His birthday is this upcoming Tuesday. Tsukki sighs and turns.

"Then what's your favorite color?"

Yamaguchi blinks. What could that mean?

"Uh... dark blues... Why?-"

But Tsukki is already walking off, a smirk on his face. He waves and keeps going. Yamaguchi sighs.

"Oh Tsukki... You make things so complicated..."

But also interesting...

Yamaguchi walks into a little convenience store and grabs a teen fashion magazine, some hair ties, and a bag of Honey Budda Chips (A/N: sorry I'm MM trash lolol).

He pays for his things and goes home, moving immediately upstairs to shower.

After his shower, he changes into some pale blue and dark purple excersize shorts and a loose white shirt with Paris ❤ in cursive. He then looks through the magazine and some YouTube videos to try out some new styles. Some look easy, but turn out being harder than the photos and videos show.

In the end, he ends up just pulling his hair into a ponytail, but the shorter strands the front fall over his face.

He moves from his desk to his bed, laying back with his phone. The coolness of the white sheets on his bare legs and the back of his neck mixed with the lingering fresh feeling of his shower is relaxing.

Then he gets a text message

"Ooo! Tsukki must be home!" he says to himself and smiles.

T: hey
T: I'm coming over tomorrow morning. Then we're going somewhere

Y: where?

T: be up at 10

Y: OK but where are we going????

T: night

Y: Tsukkishima Kei tell me what's going on!

T: also don't have a big breakfast

Y: Tsukki
Y: tell me
Y: I'm so confused...