Chapter 26: A Crash Course In Communication

The sunlight poured down from the clear sky as Sonya alighted the train amidst the calm Monday morning. The rest of the weekend after her date had gone by too fast and her remaining giddiness had manifested in a wakefulness that made it hard to sleep. After boarding the train early that morning, she was surprised to see that Lyra, Stella, and Mary were already waiting for her. Her heart leapt to her throat as she glanced around and exhaled in relief at seeing no boys nearby as she approached.

"G-good morning..."

Her words slipped out with a cautiousness at their early arrival. Sonya eyed her friends as she braced for an onslaught of questions.

"Good morning. I assume that your extended weekend was enjoyable?"

Mary adjusted her glasses while offering her usual pleasantries. Her body language showed no sign of deceit and she seemed to be acting in her usual fashion. This made Sonya lower her defenses as a loud groan made both girls jolt and turn to see Lyra hunched over with Stella rubbing her back and consoling her.

"What's wrong, Lyra?"

Her blonde locks concealed part of her face as she leaned over to speak to her deflated friend. Without warning, Lyra whipped her upper body back to an upright position and yelled.

"It's just not fair! Why does it have to end!?"

"Quiet down. Raising your voice like that is unbecoming!"

Instantly berating her, Mary stepped forward with a scowl. Lyra paid her no mind as she continued to lament.

"But, I'm serious! All we do is go to school! And for what? I'm never going to do math after I graduate! I want to follow my passion!"

Thoroughly convinced that her friends had no ulterior motives for arriving early, Sonya stifled a giggle while Mary narrowed her eyes and replied.

"I'm going to regret asking but... What would that be?"

"A food connoisseur, of course!"

With a chipper voice, Lyra answered innocently. Her childishness made Mary place her fingers against her forehead in exasperation. Unaffected by Lyra's usual amount of absurdity, Stella shared a smile with the group and happily chimed in.

"That is a good fit! Lyra does love to try new foods."

Reinvigorated by the support, Lyra beamed while raising her pointer finger.

"Exactly, my dear Stellz! That's why they need classes on food appreciation! Right, Sonya?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"See, even Sonya agrees! So make it an elective!"

Redirecting her finger towards Mary, Lyra made her demand in an authoritative tone. The upperclassman stiffened her posture as her eyes transmitted that she was fast becoming fed up with the situation.

"Why would you even think that I have that ability?"

Placing her hands on her hips, Mary's cheeks were stained pink as all eyes were watching her. Narrowing her eyes, Lyra mimicked the same pose while announcing her displeasure.

"What! Who else would?"

As the two girls faced off, a soft sound escaped Sonya's mouth. A snicker that continued to grow until she was heartily chuckling while holding her sides. The rest of the group was caught off guard as their attention was drawn to the laughing girl. With her eyes tearing up alongside her intermittent smile, her tickled state became infectious. To Lyra's surprise, Mary cracked first and a reserved giggle emerged. Soon, all the girls were sharing a chuckle as the atmosphere relaxed.