Chapter 35: Where Do We Go From Here?

With the first day of the trimester behind them, the following weeks revealed a quiet school in comparison. Third year students were studying away in hopes of passing college entrance exams while the underclassmen had final exams of their own. All in all, the turmoil of the last year seemed like a distant memory for the first year members of the student council.

Having finished their lessons for the day, Lyra, Stella, and Sonya were walking quietly towards the school gate when an outburst cut through the air.

"Why is school so boring!"

Stretching her arms above her head as she loudly voiced her laments, Lyra spread her fingers to the sky as if asking a greater power for help. In response, Stella stifled a snicker and placed a friendly hand on her friend's shoulder.

"You really don't like studying, Lyra."

"Well why would I? Time could be better spent doing things like... Eating! Or solving mysteries!"

The energy emanating from Lyra was par for the course, Stella thought as she decided to indulge Lyra's whimsicality.

"Mysteries? Have there been a lot of mysteries at school? I thought things had been quiet lately..."

"Of course there are! Like why Mary has been ditching us lately. Lucas even let her go early and she didn't walk home with us."

Raising a finger to her chin, Stella thought to herself. While it was true that Mary hadn't joined them since school had restarted, she knew that there had to be a logical reason.

"Maybe she had other work to do? There are a lot of tests coming up."

"Gahh! Don't remind me. Nevermind. It's probably a good thing that she isn't making us study like she did last year... Fine! That's one mystery solved. But what about the mystery of why Sonya is so obsessed with her phone? She's been staring into it this whole time!"

Switching targets, Lyra aimed a pointer finger at the third member of their group that had yet to speak. Rapidly typing away on her phone, Sonya noticed that the conversation had stopped as she looked up to see all eyes focused on her.

"Ehh... Huh!"

Streaks of red crossed her cheeks as she realized that she was caught red handed. A small pang of guilt filled her chest as she quickly pressed send on her message to Elise. Ever since she had invited her former bully to her house, the two had been messaging in secret. While Sonya had told Ken about Elise, she was afraid of how her close friends might react. As she shivered under the accusatory stares, Lyra yelled out.

"Must be making luuvy-duuvy plans with You. Know. Who."

Sonya might have been relieved if anyone else but Lyra had misread the situation. Instead, the implication left her even more flustered than before.

"It's not like that!"

Hiding her phone, Sonya stomped her feet in protest as Stella cheerily called out to her.

"It's okay, Sonya. I think it's only natural to be distracted with each other. You've only been together a little over a month, and with this Friday coming up, you both must be busy planning."

Her savior turned out to be as misguided as Lyra, leaving Sonya to cry out in frustration.

"I swear I'm not distracted or obsessed! Everything is normal-wait, what do you mean about this Friday?"

Abruptly changing the subject, Sonya looked at Stella with quizzical eyes. However, both Stella and Lyra stared back in amazement before speaking.

"Oh my."