Chapter 37: For One's Own Sake

The arrival of the weekend brought a much needed reprieve for Mary's heart. Choosing to sequester herself, her friend's phones remained silent for the duration. For most of the girls, no news was good news. However, Sonya could not rest easy when considering their late night conversation after the others had fallen asleep.

Her nerves were shaken as she arrived from the train station to find that neither Mary nor Lucas were walking to school with the group. Even her quiet lunch with Ken did little to assuage her budding fears. She continued to ruminate well into the afternoon while making the usual trip from her locker after class. Footsteps echoed in the otherwise quiet hallway when a voice caught her off guard.

"Hey, Sonya-"

"AHH!"

With a jolt, Sonya's spine stiffened as Ken entered her gaze.

"Woah, you're jumpy today. Everything okay?"

The abrupt interruption of her boyfriend had made her voice rise slightly too high for her liking. Her cheeks turned a light pink as she adamantly deflected.

"What?! Yeah, of course it is... Why wouldn't it be?"

Seeing through her paper thin ruse, Ken offered a flat stare.

"Yep. You totally seem like a totally normal person. No reason to try and unpack that answer..."

"Just be quiet and let's go. Everything is fine."

Sonya stomped ahead nervously as the two matched strides and headed to the student council room. Within minutes, the large wooden doors guarding the room groaned as they were pushed ajar.

"The lovebirds finally showed up!"

Lyra's excited chirping heralded their arrival as Ken armed a playful retort.

"When are you going to get tired of that line?"

"When you both stop blushing, maybe."

With a toothy grin Lyra locked eyes with Sonya as the blonde haired girl struggled to keep composure.

"Whatever... Wait, where is Mary?"

Disregarding his sister's jeers, Ken noted that they were missing one person. As he inquired into her whereabouts, Stella checked her phone for the time and answered.

"She hasn't shown up yet. Maybe something came up?"

"Mary... Late? Has anybody messaged her-"

"Mary won't be joining us today."

Slowly rising from his desk, Lucas' voice called out as the surprised faces of his friends slowly contorted to expressions of concern.

"What is going on, Lucas?"

Taking a step toward his friend, Ken narrowed his eyes as Lucas avoided his gaze.

"Mary tendered her resignation to the student council."

His announcement sapped the energy from the room as Sonya felt a surge of searing heat run across the back of her neck.

Was this Mary's answer after all?

She wondered as Lyra stood from her seat at the table and growled.

"Whaddaya mean?! This is some sort of joke, right?"

Clenching her fists, the girl looked ready to pummel Lucas. Yet, upon seeing the darkness brewing on his face she relaxed her shoulders and heard him speak.

"No. She dropped off binders this morning detailing her duties throughout the next year. She really is tho-thowough to a f-fault..."

"Lucas..."