Chapter 28: A Crescendo On The Festival Eve

The bell signaling first period reverberated through the school building as Sonya gripped the skirt of her dress. Using an empty classroom, she had donned the costume that she had been corroborating on with Davin for the past week. Tying the string that secured a snowy bonnet to her head, she inspected herself in the camera of her cellphone.

Delicately embroidered stitches pinned frilly white lace to her wrists as her fingers gently adjusted the undyed apron that nestled atop the flounce. The long sleeve dress was an onyx black that seemed to pull in the light around her. While the material was light enough to move in, it had a sturdiness that embodied its practical purpose. Matching her apron and wristlets, her collar piece extended to her shoulders and was more for appearance than function.

Not quite sure of herself, Sonya put her usual clothes into her backpack with care before walking to the door of the classroom. She audibly gulped while trying to keep her hands from shaking. It was now or never, she told herself as she pulled open the door. Within seconds, the busy hallway filled with banners and colorful signs came into view. Light music could be heard as she stepped into the hall and immediately attracted the attention of passersby. She had become yet another set piece in the momentous opening of the autumn festival.

Sonya kept her eyes down as her shiny black shoes peeked out from under the long hemmed dress and clacked against the polished stone floor. All of her focus was engaged in keeping her composure as a familiar voice called out to her.

"Holy cow, Sonya! You are really pretty!"

Standing outside the door of their classroom, Lyra was sporting a wide smile as she tied a white bandana over her head to cover her hair. Joining at her side, Stella did the same while looking at Sonya with starry eyes.

"The outfit looks wonderful!"

"T-thanks... I don't look dumb, do I?"

Contorting a nervous smile, Sonya straightened her posture as the fabric against her skin made her self conscious. Nodding in response, Lyra circled around to give a more thorough examination.

"Nah! This is great! You're really going all out. Davin did a great job! So... When is my brother going to show up? I wanna sneak out and see his face!"

"Well... um..."

Lowering her gaze, Sonya kneaded her hands as she tried to find the words to explain. She was reminded of the conversation that she had with Ken a few days ago. After waiting for her at the school gate, he had told her about the phone call from the publishing company and the interview. He was probably preparing for it at this very moment, she thought as Stella's voice beckoned her.

"Sonya?"

"He's gonna turn bright red! Oh! I need to make sure I get a photo!"

Salivating over her phone, Lyra made a devilish grin. Seeing no softer way to announce it, Sonya bluntly spoke.

"Something important came up. He won't be here today..."

Fumbling with her cell phone, Lyra's mouth dropped slightly while bursts of fire congregated in her eyes.

"HUUUH?!"

The loud reply made a few students glance over as they were setting up the final touches of displays. The girls tried to wave them on while Lyra continued her rampage.

"After you went through all the trouble of dressing up for him? No way! I'm gonna call him right now-"

"Lyra..."

Stella softly tugged on Lyra's sleeve and the girl stopped to see Sonya making a pensive expression. The lack of pain or anger in Sonya's eyes prompted Lyra to listen to her explanation.