Chapter 34: New Beginnings

The first day of the trimester came quickly for most of the students returning to the quiet island school. However, one student did not share in the belief as they squirmed in anguish while watching their phone. With a heavy chest, Sonya nervously patrolled her room while waiting for any messages or calls from Ken. With the memories of Saturday freshly seared in her mind, Sonya swapped between replaying them in her head and muffling embarrassed wimpers with her pillow.
With no outreach from Ken on Sunday, her anxiety had culminated in her waking up before the sunrise on Monday and scrambling to get ready. After a quiet ride on an empty train, she was now standing in front of the boys dormitory with an exasperated look.
Why did I come here?!
Berating herself, she sported a scowl while kicking her foot nervously. Surely this would make her seem like a stalker, she thought. Burying her face in her hands, she lowered her frame to the ground and stifled a groan.
“What are you doing-”
“EEK!”
Launching from her collapsed position, Sonya leapt into the air as the contrast of her bright green eyes and slowly reddening face elicited a smile from the source of the voice. Eyeing the disheveled girl with reserved joy, was Ken. Looking at her he saw, to his surprise, that she was wearing the standard school uniform with a long sleeved button up sweater that seemed a size too big for her. As his eyes moved lower, he noticed the lime green stripes of her stockings and the pride that was budding in his chest evaporated.
“I guess you couldn’t completely adhere to the uniform?”
Teetering to catch her balance upon landing, Sonya’s posture went rigid as she turned to face Ken and let her voice erupt.
“Really, that’s the first thing you have to say?! The teachers should be happy that I’m wearing the uniform at all.”
Her yells were met with a goofy smile from Ken that made her cheeks fill with heat. Not wanting to dance to his tune, she voiced her protests.
“W-What are you smiling at! Idiot! Why are you even out here so early?!”
“I could ask you the same thing?”
His snarky retort only made Sonya even more flustered as she tried to formulate a response.
“W-Whatever! It’s your fault for not sending me a message after… You know… I just… I wanted to see you… Gahh! This is so dumb! I’m leaving-”
“I missed you too, Sonya.”
Stopped in her tracks, Sonya peered into Ken’s eyes as he continued.
“I wasn’t sure if I should text you or not… I’m not very good at this. I was waiting by my phone all weekend like a crazy person.”
He had been feeling the same as her, she thought as she exhaled deeply. Knowing that she wasn’t alone brought her confidence forward and she gave a smug grin before speaking.
“Well, you can’t help it. You’re just a dummy after all so I’ll forgive you this time. Besides, you aren’t the only person I have to talk to this morning… I asked Mary to have everyone meet me at the train station before school. They should be there pretty soon.”
Her eyes drifted as she spoke and her nerves became apparent to Ken. WIthout hesitation, he stepped closer to her and offered his support.
“I see. I don’t think you have anything to worry about, but I’ll be right next to you if you need any help.”
“Erhem… G-good. Before I forget, I got you this.”
His firm reply made her heart race momentarily as she tried to hide her reaction by reaching into her backpack and retrieving a parcel that she quickly passed to Ken.
“For like… Christmas or whatever…”
Curiously eyeing the gift, Ken peeled back the plain wrapping paper to reveal what was unquestionably a video game box. Shiny letters spelling out Dark Olympia Five caught his eyes. As he read the title, a deep chuckle bellowed from his stomach.
“What is so funny!”
“Oh, wow… I actually got you the same thing. I was going to give it to you today. I guess we both have a copy now.”
Reaching into his own backpack, he pulled out a small bag that contained the exact same gift. As he showed them to Sonya side by side, the girl grumbled as she replied.
“No.”
“What do you mean, ‘no’?”
“You can return yours. We don’t need two. It’s wasteful.”
“But, then I don’t have a present to give you in return.”
As Ken looked at Sonya with quizzical eyes, she turned her gaze up to meet his as a soft breeze made her hair flit in the wind.
“Stupid… Just play it with me and that will be enough.”
The reply made Ken hesitate as he realized her intentions and his chest tightened. As his face became a billboard of his embarrassment, Sonya felt it transmit to hers. Breaking eye contact, she spoke in an adamant voice.
“That’s enough! Let’s go!”
With that, she took the first steps away from the dorm and Ken hastily joined her side. As they eased into their walking pace, he wondered if they had always walked so close together.  Regardless, he was happy to see Sonya acting like her usual self. Even with the hard conversation awaiting her, her calm expression assured him that she was ready.