Chapter 36: Unscheduled Heartbreak

A week had passed since Valentine's Day and the normal routine of school life had returned. Yet, Ken and Sonya had found that their relationship had become stronger. Whether it was sneaking away for the occasional break together, or spending their club time seated ever so close together, they had become more aware of one another.

While the student council was focused on preparing the final budget for next year, it would seem that others had begun to notice the change. Meeting after school, the respective members were seated around the large table in the club room as piles of scattered papers leered over them.

"Sonya, can you pass me the budgets for the sports clubs?"

Straightening a stack of papers with his hands, Ken called out to Sonya as she bristled to attention.

"Yeah! They're right here."

Scrambling to pass a document over to Ken, Sonya lingered her gaze as if to ask for approval.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome..."

As Ken met her eyes, they stared at each other for an extended moment before a voice dripping in sarcasm chimed in.

"Sonya, can I press my dumb face against yours? Oh, certainly! Muah Muah! Can you two please get a room?"

Shifting their eyes to the source of the voice, they found Lyra standing with her hands on her hips. Sonya quickly looked down as her cheeks filled with heat and Ken went on the defensive.

"I highly doubt that us working together is bothering you that much."

"Yeah, yeah. You don't even notice the looks that you're giving each other, do you? I heard you were even holding hands during lunch today."

With a sneer, Lyra played her trump card as Ken's embarrassment began to seep through on his face.

"You heard that... huh..."

"Please! You're dating the most talked about girl in school. Did you think that you were going to be a mysterious background character?"

Unable to combat Lyra's jabs, Sonya looked over to Stella for assistance. However, the girl dropped her head and twiddled her fingers while resounding bashfully.

"She's not entirely wrong..."

"Hmph! I even heard a few of the other girls talking about you, big brother..."

Emboldened by their interaction, Lyra now casted her finger at Ken as she made her declaration. Sonya widened her eyes as she rose to her feet in protest.

"What were they saying! Who was-"

"That is quite enough!"

The jovial moment was intercepted by frustrated yet firm words. As all eyes turned to her, Mary adjusted her glasses and spoke.

"This is a place to work, not some gossip farm for you to play at. If you don't want to do your jobs, then you may leave."

Lyra and Sonya fell silent as they sat back down and returned to work while wearing uneasy expressions. Without looking up, Lyra timidly added.

"Jeez, Mary... I was just having a little fun... I'm sorry..."

The defeated tone caused Mary to flinch. She wondered how long she had been glaring for as a slimy feeling resonated in her chest. With a nasally exhale, she returned to the work in front of her. The odd behavior made Ken glance at Lucas, but the tawny haired president was already watching Mary with scrutiny.

The rest of the afternoon went by without much conversation and soon the agreed upon finish time had arrived. As backpacks were being organized and murmurs started to fill the room. Lyra approached Mary with a downcast look.