00.01

JANUARY 1994

"How stupid is that?!"

I sat in the studio, letting my fingers glide across the ivory keys in front of me. Letting each note echo with resonance and power. Each key I played pulled a string in my heart, making it feel like a love language. I closed my eyes in bliss as my fingers fell over each other in a graceful, patterned succession, playing to the top note on the very right of the piano. As soon as I hit the top, I waited for a moment, taking in the power of the music, only to play back down, faster and harder than before, adding drama, energy, and passion to the piece.

The high notes from before were light and graceful, allowing for peace of mind only to be followed by the low ones I was playing now. They resonated with emotions and demanded to be felt in the air.

I played my piece with passion. If there was ever a feeling of knowing what you were meant to do in life, this was it. I was meant to play piano. It was a part of me. You could even say that I had an addiction to it. My hands and fingers danced on the row of ivory keys as I listened to the music, intoxicated by it. I knew that each part of this piano had come a long way from nothing to being this. A huge mechanism that, when it worked together, could create such energy and passion by simply pushing down on a few keys and some peddles.

I eventually ended the piece, slowing down my fingers and spacing the notes until the emotions of everything dissipated in the air, leaving a light, satisfying ending that made me smile. I exhaled as the strings inside the piano still echoed the notes they had just played.

A chorus of claps erupted behind me, scaring me. I opened my eyes and whipped my head around quickly. There stood the best people in my life - and that was no exaggeration.

There was Luke, my twin brother. He's been my rock for everything. We shared everything which was sometimes annoying but we didn't have a choice. He was always there to protect me and make me feel safe. Not to mention, he takes on the overprotective brother role. But we were inseparable, that much was indisputable.

Then, there was Alex, my best friend. He was there for me when I needed a break from masculinity. Don't get me wrong, he was still masculine, he just had a light side since he was in touch with his emotions more. A side that would allow him and me to watch Hallmark movies on cable until we cried about how lonely we were. It also helped that he was gay, meaning we could talk about guys for hours which was obviously something that I couldn't do with the other boys. He was also the only one who knew about my crush... but more on that later.

Next was Bobby, he was like an adopted brother to me. He was always there to give me an encouraging smile and to cheer me on. He showed up to every piano recital as well as offered to beat anyone up who cat-called me. He was a shoulder to cry on when I needed it and he would always be there for me.

And finally, there was Reggie. Reggie and I were the closest, after my twin of course. He was always there to brighten my day with his handsome smile or make me laugh with one of his stupid jokes. He gave the best hugs and he was always there when I needed him, just as I am always there for him. He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed but he made up for it with heart. If you didn't pick up on it... he is the one I have a crush on. I couldn't help it, he was just too cute! But I had to hide my feelings from him since Luke would kill both of us if he knew I liked him.