00.04

AUGUST 1994 (3 WEEKS UNTIL DEATH)

"You don't have to ask me twice."

This week has been the most awkward ever. The boys were joking around and everything like normal, but when it came to me, Bobby didn't want anything to do with me. He backed out on taking care of me and went inside his house straight after rehearsal. He always makes up some excuse, saying he needed to do something in town for his parents, or had to watch his sister. The boys didn't think much of it.

Today was no different. The boys ended their rehearsal and just like that, Bobby was heading towards the garage doors.

"Where you going, Bobby?" Reggie asked him.

"Gotta go watch my sister, sorry. Maybe next time." He said before walking out.

"He's been doing that a lot lately, you think he's avoiding us?" Luke asked us.

"No, his parents are just busier than normal." I lied, but they all nodded, believing it.

"So, anything going on today?" Reggie asked, dropping next to me on the couch.

"Not really, I'm not really feeling like doing much today." I said, smiling sadly.

That much was true. I've started feeling weaker and weaker, my muscles were thinning and my skin was becoming paler. It was hard getting up and dressed in the mornings. The boys noticed and they tried not to worry but it was hard. We now have a wagon that I ride in since I can't walk more than a block without getting tired.

"How about you play a song for us? You haven't played in a week or so, make us listen for a change." Luke suggested and the boys chorused in agreement.

"Sure." I nodded. I tried to stand on my own but my legs shook. Reggie stood up from beside me and put his arm around me, helping stabilize me.

"Thanks, Reg." I said with a small smile. He let me go slowly as I made my way over to the dusty piano bench and sat down.

I placed my hands on the keys before playing a few notes. I tried to hide it but it hurt my fingers and wrists a lot. Within a minute of playing, my hands couldn't take it. They cramped up, making me hit the wrong notes. I winced in pain, pulling my hands into my chest. My eyes filled with tears as I realized I had lost the ability to do what I loved. The thing that gave me purpose in life.

"What just happened?" Alex asked as they came over. They surrounded the piano with worried eyes.

"I haven't heard you play a wrong note in years." Luke added.

"M-My hands... they can't t-take it. My f-fingers hurt-t and--" I couldn't finish my sentence as the sobs fell on my lips.

"Oh, Rory..." Reggie whispered as he came over and sat next to me. He pulled me into him and I cried in his chest.