00.05

AUGUST 1994 (THE MORNING AFTER; 3 WEEKS UNTIL DEATH)

"You like Reggie!"

I woke up the next morning to the sun beaming in through my window. I was feeling relaxed and a bit lighter than normal. I smelled the all too familiar scent of vanilla and remembered that I fell asleep against Reggie so I quickly turned to see if he was anywhere in the room. He wasn't, but he did leave his jacket here, explaining the smell. I smiled and grabbed it, pulling it gently to my chest.

I got up and got dressed, pulling on Reggie's jacket as a final touch. Something about his smell was so comforting to me, which was a feeling that I wish I had more of. I went over to my vanity to see how I looked when I saw a message written in marker on the mirror.

"Hope you slept well! I had to sneak out before either of our parents found us! See you later, Rory -- Reginald <3."

I smiled at the message and chuckled at the fact that Reggie used his real name, which he hates. But he knows that I love it. I went to erase it but stopped myself before I could. I stared at the message for a few more moments before retracting my hand, deciding that I wanted to keep it there.

I looked back into the mirror and saw how pale I was. I sighed but knew that I couldn't do anything about it. I shook my head and told myself it was going to be a good day and got up. I slowly made my way downstairs, rolling my tank behind me, and went into the kitchen.

I ate breakfast with my parents before they went off to work, something that we all really enjoyed.

"Aurora? Is that Reggie's leather jacket?" Mom asked me.

"Yeah, he gave it to me to wear today." I said, looking down into my cereal to avoid their gazes and hide my blush.

"So, you will wear Reggie's jacket, but not Bobby's?" Mom questioned me.

"Mom..." I breathe out, telling her I didn't want to talk about it.

"Wait, are you... are you blushing? You like Reggie!" She exclaimed.

"Mom!" I exclaimed, looking up and glaring, wanting her to stop. Dad just sat there chuckling to himself.

"You didn't deny it, baby!" She cheered with a huge smile.

"Mom, please!" I plead.

"Ok, fine! Just know that I'm happy for you hun, he's a wonderful boy." Mom said.

"You also said that about Bobby..." I muttered under my breath.

"What was that, hun?" She asked me.

"Nothing. Where's that obnoxious twin of mine?" I asked them, changing the subject.

"I believe that he is at Bobby's, he left early this morning, saying he was working on something 'big'." Mom answered.

"Oh, without me? Uh, okay. I'll take off towards their house in a little bit." I said.