CHAPTER ELEVEN: FISTFIGHT

He loves me? Is it possible? I blinked my eyes in disbelief.

"I really want us to work out," said Tom. "But don't worry, I don't expect anything from you, except maybe... more meetings?" he smiled hopefully.

I was ecstatic, although I didn't want to show it. I smiled back, but didn't grin like an idiot. I was only doing it inside me. I felt like I was finally starting a new stage in my life, a stage that I was looking forward to.

We spent a few more minutes in the café. We switched the topic and started talking about our favorite movies. He loved action ones, and I preferred romantic ones.

Fortunately, something divides us, I thought, finding a big plus in it. I've never heard of couples who match perfectly in everything.

We both agreed that the coolest films are action movies with a romantic theme. James Bond, after deliberations, turned out to be our both favorite one. I didn't mention Titanic in case he laughed at me, though I also considered it to be a masterpiece. After all, the film is suspenseful, the action is fast, and young Leonardo, wow!

We parted with a peck on the cheek. Yes, on the cheek. I may have been a little disappointed, but he had never really given me a kiss before, so I guess that was a good sign, and I should be grateful for it.

In the apartment, I told Camila everything, but so that my sister's fiancé wouldn't hear it. I was afraid that babbler Leon could tell Tom how excited I was about our meeting, and I didn't want to seem crazy.

We had a party on Saturday, all four of us - me, Tom, Camila and Leon. It felt great to be able to go to the disco with my sister and her fiancé, knowing I had someone to dance with. Until now, whenever they managed to get me out of the house, I felt like a third wheel. The ballast that was ruining their evening out. A fun killer.

It was different now. I had my date.

Camila and I dressed up in dresses, high heels and put some make-up on. In fact, I didn't really know what Tom was thinking about making oneself over from head to toe, so after putting some make-up, I wiped it a little, but only a little. We curled our hair and went out.

We were supposed to meet Tom in the city center, because he was coming straight from his flat which he came to after work to refresh himself. Unfortunately, he probably was late, because I got a message that we should go to the club alone, and he'll join us. He also wrote that he had a little setback, and that he'll tell me everything when we meet.

It would be too good if he was ten minutes late, talking about traffic jams or a ton of work. He arrived, at last, but after two hours of waiting. Everyone could imagine what I looked like, because after two drinks, I started to convince myself that he definitely had returned to Barb, or that he had met a new girl, or that he thought the whole situation over and decided not to start anything with me. So I had another drink, or two, then the next one, and finally stopped counting how much I had drunk. He found me when I didn't care anymore.

Therefore, when I stumbled over to him, gibbering that I didn't want to play blind man's bluff (oh yeah, I really used that term), I suddenly realized that Tom had a black eye and a bloody eyebrow, which he had to try to hide. Unfortunately for him, it didn't work out to cover it at all.

"Gosh, what happened to you?" Camila asked somewhere behind me. Luckily, she could talk. I refrained from telling anything, because I would be slurring.

"Sorry, I had a little quarrel with my cousin," although he was talking to Camila, he was looking at me.

My head was spinning and I wanted to throw up. Again, I had to pretend to be sober. Maybe if I didn't have to put my whole energy into it, I would have done something even sillier, like rubbing against him like a contented kitten or trying to kiss him, so of the two - nausea was obviously the better option.

"A little?" it was Leon who broke the silence. "Who did you fight with?"

Tom glanced at me again. Did I have a snot on my nose? I turned away from them trying to check with my hand if nothing was running out of me anywhere, angry with Camila for not telling me about my problems. I must have misunderstood something because suddenly Tom grabbed my hand.

"He started it," he defended himself, the tone of voice begging me not to leave.

But I just wanted to get rid of that snot.

I was so drunk I didn't understand. I think Camila and Leon didn't understand either, but I didn't care. Finally, Tom was with me and that was all that mattered to me.

"Camila," I whispered to my sister, relishing the fact that my beloved one grabbed my hand.

"Yeah?" said Camila, while Leon and Tom exchanged two sentences.

"Take that snot," I growled, but my sister squinted at me as if I was an alien.

"What are you talking about, stupid?" despite the unpleasant words, she smiled. "You look well, except that you got drunk... Tom, would you take Eliza to our apartment?" she turned pleading eyes towards my beloved one. "We still want to stay here."

I knew she bluffed, but she did it for me. She never really liked dancing because she always got colic. Camila and Leon could come back with us, since they had the transport back home arranged. But they stayed. My sister wanted to give me and Tom some time just for us, and I promised myself to thank her for that as soon as I sober up.

"Of course."

Just like Cosmo after his friend's wedding, now Tom felt obliged to escort me. This time we only returned to my apartment, where there was no question of moving forward in our relationship, because my roommates could come back at any moment. But it was fine. I didn't want all of this to happen too fast. Not like with Cosmo.

"You are pensive," said Tom as we set off across the parking lot.

He's so handsome, I thought, looking at him in profile. He had sparking eyes and messy hair. I guess he took my silence badly because he said abruptly:

"I really wanted us to sort it out like adults."

He started talking again about that fight that didn't interest me at all. What was important for me was that he finally arrived and we will be alone in the apartment. I kept thinking about it.

Perhaps he'd dare to kiss me at last? I hope he wouldn't think he shouldn't take advantage of the situation. He's so noble after all. Yes, probably knowing him, we'll end up with a kiss on the cheek...

"But he didn't want to," he continued. He stared straight ahead, totally focused on the road ahead. We drove into the tunnel. "As soon as he found out that I was going to meet you, he became furious. He pounced on me and..."

"Who are you talking about?" I was indignant. Who dared to attack Tom? "Do I know him?" I asked disgustedly.

Tom tensed. I guess that's why I finally caught on. My brain understood. I knew the answer before he gave it to me.

"Cosmo. He's my cousin, I thought he'd told you..."

I felt dizzy. 

Oh no. 

The words "it's a small world" were an understatement.