CHAPTER FORTY TWO: CAFÉ

We ended the conversation after two hours. Of course, Camila and Leon were curious about the beginnings of the kidnapping, but, surprisingly, they were even more interested in our stays in other countries and what I saw. I told them about this part of the trip with enthusiasm, I only regretted that I didn't have pictures to show them.

After a quick shower, I finally changed into my clothes. I thought for a long time what to say to Tom, and finally, after silent battles with myself, I dared to dial his number from Leon's phone. The silence on the other end was unbearable, he picked up after four rings.

"Hello?"

He finally picked up the phone.

"Hi, this is Eliza. I'm calling from Leon because I don't have my phone," I preferred to hide the fact that it stopped working in the hot tub.

"Hi," he said in a slightly worried voice, "how do you feel?" he asked. It was hard to tell if he was being polite or genuinely curious.

"All right. Do you want to meet?"

My voice failed me and I practically whispered the end of the sentence.

"Sure".

We made an appointment in the same café where we met for the first time to discuss a surprise party for Barb. By the way, the same one where we confessed our love, but I didn't focus on that.

I came too early. Probably just to be alone with myself and mentally get ready. It wasn't a good move on my part though, I was nervous and shaking like an leaf.

What if he tells me that he and Barb got back together? Well, I'll have to deal with. Or maybe that's what I wanted? 

I couldn't answer at the moment.

When I saw him, I almost cried. Tom entered the café, using orthopedic elbow crutches. Maybe it was an illusion, but it seemed to me that he had a few wrinkles on his forehead and the first gray hairs appeared on his head. He had aged, and I felt that it was somehow my fault.

I was about to say that it was good to see him, just to make a first move, when he forestalled me and gave me a hug.

"How do you feel?" he asked concerned as he moved away slightly.

Tom gestured for me to sit opposite him.

"Okay," I replied, though I wasn't sure whether I was lying or not. I was definitely physically in good shape, but mentally I was probably a wreck.

"And you? Are you recovering?" I moved my hand towards him. I had been sitting for a long time while he had just taken his place, arranging the crutches next to him.

"Yeah, it's pretty good now," he smiled faintly.

"Can I ask what happened?"

He released a deep sigh.

"As always with accidents, carelessness. The car's driver didn't see me, and I didn't pay attention to his maneuver. Life," he shuggered. "Can I also ask you something now?"

His question made my heart leap into my throat. I nodded.

"You... you didn't go there voluntarily, did you?"

There was a huge hope in his voice. I was surprised that he even asked that.

"No, I didn't, but I don't want the police to find out about it."

I began to suspect him that maybe he was a mole and that the officers would come in and overpower me for the lies I had told them.

"Why?" he asked looking at me in with a serious expression.

"I don't think he had any bad intentions. Of course, he shouldn't have done it, not like that, but..." I heard myself defending him, so I shut my mouth to keep from saying more.

"I think so too," he admitted after a while.

I raised my eyebrows.

"He left me a message," he explained, though he looked hesitant to talk about it. "He thought I was going to die and he didn't want to see you unhappy. You see, maybe you don't know it yet, but he hates mourning, he's already lost many people close to him. In some way, he probably wanted to protect you. Which, of course, doesn't justify what he did," he added, throwing his hands up. "Although I think prison is too harsh punishment for him."

That's why I fell in love with him. He was able to explain his rival and look at the world from other's person perspective. Such people don't exist, but Tom was an exception. He was an angel. One of a kind, and that's why I should stick to him.

However... that moment I was yearning only for Cosmo.

"I think so too. That's why I have to do everything so that he wouldn't get there," with Tom's on my side, I felt like a big stone fell from my heart.

I didn't ask if he was with Barb or not. He asked no more about Cosmo too. Our conversation ended kindly, but we knew that each of us would go our own way. That our time together ended the day of the accident.

I guess only love can hurt like that, I thought, leaving the café with my head down.

Did I regret it? In a way, yes, I took away my chance for happiness and unproblematic love.

On the other hand, I was curious about what the future will bring.

A year ago, I didn't expect that I would have not one, but even two boyfriends at the same time.