CHAPTER FORTY THREE: STRATEGY

I made a plan in my head. First of all, I wanted to bring the police down a peg, psychologists and all those people who claimed they knew what was inside me, all those who told me what my relationship with Cosmo was like and those who pretended to know me.

Secondly, I had to fight for myself. Focus not on others, but on my mental health, because what happened recently hit me the most. Due to the departure with Cosmo, my internal hierarchy of needs, Maslow's pyramid, was disturbed.

Thirdly, I also wanted to teach Cosmo a lesson. Yes, Cosmo. What he did in the beginning and how he did it was disgusting, and he should apologize to me for it. I don't know if he saw it as a mistake, if not, he should understand it so that he would never, ever hurt another person like that again.

For the next few days, I tried to live as normally as possible. Of course, it wasn't easy, I had a ton of retakes and little time to prepare for them. Most of the professors met me half-way and allowed me to take the exams on time with everyone else, believing in my tearful story about the kidnapping, but there were also those who agreed only if I provide some extra projects.

So I crammed at the end of the month. I also visited psychologists and the police, who unfortunately didn't want to discontinue the proceedings.

Maybe if I had enough money, I would hire a lawyer and try to get Cosmo out of jail. But I was a poor student who didn't have these funds and Cosmo, from what I was told, didn't even try to defend himself, he didn't want to.

All I could do for him was wait. I couldn't visit him because I had a restraining order, and Leon didn't want to help me and go talk to Cosmo on my behalf. They set a hearing for October 9th. Until then, I had to somehow let him know so that his version of events would be consistent with mine.

At the end of September, I met with Barb to ask her for a favour. Actually, she was the only person who, I thought, was willing to help Cosmo and me, so I had to swallow my pride and under the guise of asking how she was doing, I dared to propose a meeting. Amazingly, she agreed within two minutes of sending the message, which I took as a good sign.

We met at the park. Of course she was late, but I wasn't even mad about it because I just knew her enough to know she didn't do it on purpose.

"Heyyy," she hugged me as soon as she appeared in a flowy dress and high heels.

I thought it was weird that she was dressed up like that for a visit to the park, but I didn't say anything.

"Hi," I replied with my sweetest smile.

"Ah, can we sit somewhere? I don't really want to tire my legs in these high heels," she chattered, looking at my reaction. I pretended not to notice it.

"Sure," I said instead, and began searching for a seat. Suddenly, I felt like I could at least wear shorts, because in tracksuits I looked like her poor relative or maid. "How are you?"

"Fine, better than fine, I'm meeting my sweetie right now, so I don't have much time. But I'd love to know how a r e y o u," she pronounced the last word so slowly, as if her speech apparatus failed.

We walked along the path to the nearest bench, which fortunately was really close.

"Well, that's why I wanted to meet you, as you've probably heard from Tom, my situation is complicated," I said, sitting down. 

"Tom? We haven't talked about you," she interjected, slightly pouting.

I had to change tactics to save the day. She couldn't be offended neither at me nor at sweetie, who, as I deduced, was Tom.

"Okay, but have you heard of kidnapping?

"Yeah, something caught my ear."

"Cosmo's in prison and I really don't want him to ruin his life because of me and this whole kidnapping thing. I can't see him and I have no one to turn to for help with this delicate matter, only you..."

For a brief moment, I thought it was over. That I said one word too much and Barb will get up in her high heels, leave and I'll never see her again. Fortunately, she was unpredictable even in this regard.

"I can visit him and tell him something if you want," she offered.

I nodded gratefully. That's what I meant!

"Yes, that would be great," but before I could tell her anything more, Barb had already started showing all her snow-white teeth and waving like a possessed woman in the direction of someone behind me.

I mentally cursed Tom for his punctuality, but when I turned around, I put on that sugary smile again.

Only... I didn't see Tom.

In our direction was walking a huge physique, two Tom's width man. He looked like a security guard at the gates of discos. He swayed from side to side and his long arms resembled an orangutan.

"My sweetie," Barb introduced him.

I hesitated for a moment before taking his hand.

"Eliza".

"Chubster," he replied coquettishly.

This time, instead of a smile, I had a grimace on my face.