CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: HEART

We went to a tiny local restaurant because I was so insistent. Until now, we had eaten in exclusive places where the wealthiest dined, so I hadn't had a chance to see how ordinary people eat. By the way - food in Dubai was very expensive. Even in shopping malls, passing by fast food restaurants, I saw horrendous hamburger prices, not to mention how much money Cosmo left in restaurants every day.

We were greeted by a waiter as soon as we entered. Without even asking, he led us to another part of the room, behind a screen; as a woman, I was apparently unable to eat with men in the main part of the restaurant. Cosmo got a little angry because of it, but so as not to make a fuss, I got into a discussion with him.

"How do you see your future?" I asked him suddenly as we took our seats. The waiter gave us an old menu in an unknown language. Fortunately, it was partly with illustrations, so we started looking at the photos of the dishes.

Cosmo shrugged.

"Either behind bars or in the ground."

It was supposed to be a joke, but it didn't make me laugh. This time I was the one who got mad.

"Are you serious? No girl will want a guy like that..."

"You're wrong. Money is all that matters to most girls. Besides," he said, staring intently at the piece of paper in front of him. "I don't want anyone if you don't want me."

I bit my lip until it bled. We'd already talked about it. I wanted him, but he wasted the opportunity. He might have thought of me months ago. If he had done it, he would have never had to kidnap me – I would have gone everywhere with him.

I knew girls like money. I didn't know a person who didn't like them. I was also aware that Cosmo would find some harpy to ensnare him someday, even if he now swears it's impossible. Unfortunately, that's the way things are.

"It's not fair what you're saying," I whispered.

I felt sorry for him, but I felt that he was throwing all the responsibility on me. That I don't want him. That I want to come back. Only, of the two of us, I was the only one who didn't decide about this trip.

He didn't speak until the waiter came over to take our order. Cosmo chose some ribs in sauce and I chose pieces of breaded chicken, which turned out to be so spicy that I drank the whole Coke during the dish. Over dinner we talked about our dreams. Cosmo said that he would like to lead his life in such a way that he could spend the winter in warm countries. He wouldn't have to do it all the time, but he would like to earn enough in the warm seasons to be able to afford holidays in other ones.

I said that I would like to be a specialist in neurosurgery. I would like to be a respected doctor with the title of habilitated professor.

We both knew that my vision of the future and his were colliding. Either I would have to quit my job to fulfill his dream, or he would have to stay home to spend time with me.

We knew this relationship wouldn't work. And yet, when the waiter brought us as huge heart-shaped bun, I didn't even murmur to rebuke him for it. Plus, he took a beautiful photo of us.

I left the restaurant "stuffed" as hell. We ate everything. Of the formed heart, only crumbs on the plates remained. Paradoxically, Cosmo left the biggest tip in this restaurant, stating that the ribs were fantastic. I was incredibly pleased, because I chose the place, and the waiter was certainly even nicer, since he got a substantial sum.

The hours passed inexorably, our day was coming to an end.

When we got to the hotel, I started packing. Although I didn't have too much luggage and the whole packing took me no more than twenty minutes, Cosmo walked around the apartment with a dull expression, only to finally leave it. He looked like he couldn't watch what I was doing, so he just evacuated the apartment.

I didn't know if he had gone downstairs to the lobby or somewhere else, but I understood him perfectly well. I didn't enjoy arranging things either, because I was full of contradictions. One that wanted to leave, the other, to stay. I wasn't sad about the trip - we explored Dubai well for two weeks and there wasn't much to do here, but I couldn't lie - I already missed Cosmo. The fact that I would never see him again in my life was unbearable.

I ran several scenarios in my head. Maybe if it all died down, after a few years, Cosmo could come back? In that scenario, I probably wouldn't have to file a kidnapping charge. Or maybe lie right away that I wanted to go myself? But Tom knew the truth. I told him myself. I'm sure he won't leave it like that. Neither he nor Camila with Leon.

There was no perfect solution.