Chapter 7

Naruto never spammed the shadow clone technique more than he spammed it while with the Uzumaki. He created about three clones per Shinobi willing to teach him anything in fuinjutsu, which was almost all of them, as most of them took his lack of sealing knowledge like a personal insult. They were particularly interested in that technique but they never asked Naruto to teach it which Naruto found weird but he never said anything about it. If they wanted to know how to do the Kage Bunshin technique, then they would ask.

The original Naruto asked one of the earth style Uzumaki to create a spike for him, like the ones he had learned how to meditate on with the toads. And that was where he sat while his clones learnt the art of fuinjutsu, keeping still so that his mind could absorb all that he learnt.

The Uzumaki admired the fact that he could be still for such long periods of time and Naruto was amazed that none of them had ever considered meditating. They were all brilliant in intellect but not one of them could sit very still for very long. While he meditated he could always, at any given moment in the day, sense several Uzumaki watching him intently. It was the most entertaining thing for them, aside from popping his clones.

Naruto had been invited to speak with the Head of the clan on many occasions and after six months with the Uzumaki he became his personal apprentice, something he was told was a great honour. Naruto had a silly grin plastered on his features for over two weeks.

Mito was the one to teach him the Uzumaki customs. Naruto thought it was hilarious that they had the most lax way of being formal he'd ever seen. He'd been to a few of the clan compounds later on in his life with Shikamaru, Choji, Ino and Kiba, so he knew that it was quite the occasion to have guests over to dinner.

The second time Naruto had been brought before the clan head he'd sweated bullets, trying to remember how to be formal, since the first time he'd been far too concerned with his surroundings and the words that he'd been saying. It wasn't easy and he'd gotten a full belly laugh for his troubles. After that Naruto came to realise that the Uzumaki had a different sort of culture, one that was intriguing and meaningful. They were all family to each other. They gave without expecting anything in return. Yet Naruto knew that they had a temper that could rival the Kyuubi's. He'd seen it in action when a husband returned home late from a night out with the guys. His wife, well, he wondered if his own father had had to endure a temper like that.

But an Uzumaki temper was the very definition of passion. It burned hot and it burned bright but it also burned out very quickly. It was there and then it wasn't; only after a suitable punishment had been delivered.

Turned out the Uzumaki were also proficient at kenjutsu and most of them had great fun popping Naruto's shadow clones with many different kinds of swords, much to the blonde's annoyance since they usually did it while he was learning something. Naruto himself had fun showing them just what stealth meant. When asked why anyone would ever want to hide their presence, he replied, "To create the ultimate prank." And that was how a whole range of new stealth seals were created.

Naruto missed Hashirama, Tobirama, Izuna and Madara like it was nobody's business. He wished he could go to them, talk with them and train with them, but it was never that simple. He knew he would just have to be patient and that had never been his strong point.

Naruto was with the Uzumaki for exactly eight months before they were reminded that outside their compound, clans were still at war with each other. It wasn't that Naruto had forgotten. It was more like the Uzumaki didn't appear to take as much of an active role. Not as much as the Uchiha and the Senju had.

"Honourable One, there is a breach in the barrier to the east. We estimate three of a higher class."

Naruto looked up from the seal he and the Head of the Clan were studying. He sighed and looked away. He really hated these petty fights.