Chapter 29

Madara looked up as the tent flap moved to the side, seeing one of the younger Uchiha members poking his head inside. "Madara-sama, may I have a moment of your time?"

Uchiha Sasuke was a boy that instantly took Madara's interest from the moment he'd met him. For one, the boy looked almost exactly like Izuna. Further than that, the boy had more potential than any of the other Uchiha. Strangely, potential he had yet to realise.

This was the Uchiha about whom Naruto had spoken the most fondly of. He knew that Sasuke had been on Naruto's genin team, had been the one who Naruto had most bonded with before his fall into the past. Had their lack of a bond been what stunted Sasuke's potential in this current version of events? From what Naruto had described, their rivalry had been rather intense.

It didn't matter right now. The boy was here for a reason, and Madara was actually intrigued as to what it may be. Sasuke rarely sought him out willingly.

"What is it, boy?"

Sasuke walked further into the tent and knelt on the ground near him. He bowed his head before speaking bluntly, "I don't see why this war is necessary." He glanced up to glare at Madara, "Or why you had to kill Naruto."

"Not beating around the bush are we, hmmm Sasuke." Madara tilted his head, with a small smile on his face. Sasuke's to-the-point attitude was refreshing at times. In small doses. "Keep in mind that we knew this day would come for some time now. We were simply waiting until we could wait no longer."

Madara watched silently as Sasuke's hands clench the material of his pants.

"Why did we have to kill Naruto!?"

"Did you care for him that much?" Madara sat up straighter, seeing the same anguish in Sasuke's eyes that he had once seen in his own when thinking of anyone hurting his precious brother. That was an interesting closeness to a boy he'd only known for a few short interactions.

At his question, Sasuke seemed to deflate. Did he realise how he felt? Did he understand it?

"I suppose I can answer your question. It'll come to be known eventually I'm sure. Just, keep it to yourself." Madara waved a hand dismissively. "The boy I killed, this Naruto, well, that was a clone. A very well constructed one."

"A clone? But how. . ." Sasuke's words trailed off as he tried to comprehend the truth in those words, eyes wide with wonder and disbelief.

"Uzumaki Naruto is quite proficient at seals." Madara smiled, "You may see him again, once this war sorts itself out. I feel as though it's close to the climax. Are you ready? Can you face your other teammates in battle?"

"So you mean, this whole time?" Sasuke seemed to be stuck on the fact that Naruto had been a clone. Or maybe . . . he'd realised that the person who'd been on his team had been Uzumaki Naruto the whole time.

"More or less. Definitely this last month or so." Madara confirmed. "But as for my earlier questions, not that you seem concerned, I have a feeling that we're not going to get around to fighting Konoha. Naruto's too soft hearted to actually go through with it. At least, taking on those whom he perceives as innocent."

"You seem awfully forthcoming. I've known you since I was very young, but for some reason you've always kept information to yourself." Sasuke commented, regaining his composure, almost at ease as though Madara's information cleared things up for him.

"Well, Naruto is getting aggravated by the fighting so I guess deescalating things might be in order. You know, not light fires where it's not needed. I also need you to remain loyal to the cause Sasuke." Madara stood, giving Sasuke a hard, threatening look. "Had you decided that the clone's death was worth deserting over, well, I would just hate to see you make such a mistake given how promising of a shinobi you are."