Chapter 23

The next morning found Sasuke looking more than a little angry as his scowled at his breakfast. A breakfast he couldn't see thanks to the bandage wrapped tightly around his eyes. Both he and Itachi had been placed on extended medical leave. Itachi was carefully manoeuvring his way through his food while Sasuke continued to scowl at his own.

Naruto had made a large pretence of showing shock when Minato had 'woken' him up just an hour earlier. Minato was standing a few feet away, quietly talking to Fugaku who hadn't even had time to dress into his proper uniform.

With a sigh Naruto picked up Sasuke's toast and shoved it towards the petulant Uchiha who only scowled further. "Just let me help you, teme." Naruto grumbled distantly while Sasuke wondered at the name.

Sasuke snatched the toast from his hand and took a forceful bite. "I don't need help eating breakfast. What I do need, is the name of the person who dared to break into my house and why." Sasuke growled, looking far more like the avenger Naruto was familiar with. "Did they leave any evidence?" Naruto asked innocently, eyebrows pulling together to further feign concern. He moved Sasuke's glass of milk closer to his hand when it appeared that Sasuke was more likely to knock it over than to actually manage to find it.

"No. Other than the fact that they were using some high end seals. I know you can buy seals from the Uzumaki so it was either someone with a lot of money or it was someone really good at seals." Sasuke frowned, head tilting downwards. "Luckily Itachi woke up before anything could happen." Sasuke mentally shuddered at the thought of an intruder sneaking around Shi's room. The youngest Uchiha had been sound asleep through the entire ordeal, only waking up when the bright flash had been activated. "They didn't have a lot of chakra, so it's possible that it was someone with a lot of money." Sasuke added, remembering the hazy figure that had been standing in the passageway, and how much chakra they'd had. Certainly not as much as Naruto had and Naruto was only half Uzumaki.

Minato turned away from Fugaku, the latter leaving the room while the former moved closer to the table. "Naruto-kun, I'm sending you to the Uzumaki compound. I need you to give this report to your mother. I'd go myself but I'm already scheduled to be by the Academy in an hour and I need to check in with the office." Minato tossed a scroll towards him and he caught it, wondering if he should read the words in the scroll. Probably not. Better to lay low after the failed Uchiha infiltration. Security would be heightened for a week or two at the very least.

The Academy? It had to be something important for him not to reschedule. Come to think of it, Shi-chan had absolutely insisted on going to the Academy, despite what had happened to her brothers.

Naruto stood and bowed to his father. "Understood." He turned to Sasuke, taking a moment to watch as the temporarily blinded Uchiha tried to eat an egg, missed and smeared it across his cheek instead. "See you later Sasuke." He received an annoyed grunt in reply.

Going to the Uzumaki compound could prove to be problematic. It was the heart of the biggest sensing clan in the village. If he reacted to anything oddly it would raise suspicions. Luckily, he was more experienced than he looked. Still, he'd already messed up once. He couldn't afford to do so again.

Running across rooftops, Naruto wondered just how different the Uzumaki clan would be. His experience with them since returning to the present was rather limited. Perhaps he'd see Haruto, get to see a bit more of the clan customs and such.

He dropped down at the compound entrance and waved at the guards. They knew who he was, yet they weren't sure if they should let him in or not. "Yo, I'm here to see my mother. I have a report from the Hokage." He held up the report. They waved him through and he carried on towards the main hall. He couldn't use his sensing to find his mother. He didn't want it to be known that he was an adept sensor. He wanted to make it look like he was trying to find his mother the long way.