Chapter 12

Naruto woke up to the sound of liquid falling into liquid, the soft irregular trickle tickling at the edge of his awareness. His mind had already analysed that it was a rather small quantity and at a density that could be water.

Blinking slowly– watching as the world went from blurry blobs of colour to recognizable shapes and objects– Naruto came to the conclusion that he had no idea where he was. The colours and décor around him told him that he was still within the Uzumaki Compound, but that was all he could deduce.

"Oh." A sharp intake of breath more than a word. "You're awake. That demon in you really does influence your healing factor. Even for an Uzumaki, it's quite impressive." An instinctual observation stated with the smallest hint of bitterness.

Naruto shifted his gaze to see those same green eyes, only this time staring down at a cloth in small hands. Further observation told Naruto the cloth was wet and there was a small bowl on the table beside Naruto's head.

"Forgive my disrespect, Naruto-sama." One small hand touched cherry red lips as green eyes looked to the side shamefully. Sama, a suffix some felt they needed to add to his name with his position as the Clan Heir. A suffix Naruto felt was unnecessary.

"There was no disrespect, Asuna-san." Naruto whispered, trying very hard not to let his thoughts show on his features. Uzumaki Asuna. The wife of Takashi. "In fact, it is I who must ask for forgiveness."

Startled eyes returned their gaze back to Naruto and it was his turn to look away in shame. The blond shifted on the bed he was lying in and slowly moved into a seated position.

"When Takashi – I should have –" Naruto cut off, unable to speak due to the rush of emotions he felt, but he had to try and as such he opened his mouth to try again, "I was right there–" Naruto cut off this time due to the fingers pressed against his lips. The fingers were quickly removed, as though Naruto's skin was molten lava. Asuna's emotions jumped to bashfulness, almost embarrassed with herself for even touching the blond. Her cheeks reddened and a subtle awkwardness wove into the atmosphere but it didn't press itself upon them and take the place of the seriousness that soaked their current conversation.

"I understand." A soft barely audible whisper. Naruto could only assume that she was trying to move past an awkwardness she had imagined. "I am among the most astute sensors within the clan. I feel your emotions, and your own sensory strength." Asuna met his gaze briefly and stated with a conviction rarely seen, "I understand."

Naruto stared with wide eyes at Asuna. She baffled him. Her emotions and actions were not something he was used to. While he was stuck trying to gather his thoughts and emotions she continued. "At first, I couldn't find it within myself to forgive you. I thought that you were the one that should have died and that Takashi had given up far too much for your sake; he had a family after all and you were a stranger to the Clan and its ways, still learning that which we knew practically from birth . . . you see, Naruto-sama, I had never met you in person, I had never seen you. I had only the stories of others and Takashi to go on. It was hardly the same as the real person."

Naruto didn't know if he should stop her, or let her continue. He knew that he should tell her that it was alright. That he didn't mind. He knew that he could say he'd been through so much and that in the end, it all blurred together. But she needed the emotional closure of letting go. It was painful to listen to simply because he had to watch and feel her struggle through her own emotions and he didn't know which would help her more.

He didn't get the chance to decide because she continued all the same. "You were this shinning beacon to Takashi, one of a glorious new hope that I never truly understood, but to me you were the mysterious boy that showed up out of nowhere and took my husband from me. When Takashi was out, it was with you and when he was home all he spoke of was you, your achievements and strengths, the silly things you'd say or the weird little things that you'd do. I am ashamed to admit that I grew to hate you . . . but I grew to love you as well. It was hard not to." Naruto watched as a smile bloomed to life on Asuna's features, warming her dazed eyes as she spoke. "The way Takashi spoke of you, the way his eyes would sparkle. He was as much in love with you as I was. You were a symbol of such hope to him. He thought that you would be able to move mountains if you set your mind to it."