chapter nine

I went back to Meteli shortly afterwards. It took time for me to accept what happened, and I knelt next to my father's grave and apologized.

I found myself near his grave far more often than any other place in Meteli. Cadenza and I bonded, and she properly gave me a tour around the area, and I was able to meet her new guards. Some villagers were there from before the fire, but most were new.

Meteli has grown fast. And while it isn't the size, nor have the power, of O'Khasis, there is a large difference in what once was until now.

Despite the sudden gloom in the air when I first arrived, I left with the heavy feeling in my chest vanquished. I came back to Phoenix Drop to see sudden excitement in the air, and Emmalyn was quick to grab onto my hands with joyous news.

The change in atmosphere was refreshing considering how depressing events have been. With Garroth being trapped in the Irene Dimension, Phoenix Drop being in absolute shambles, and then with the news of my dad's death, everyone needs a pick me up.

"They're getting married," I say, filling Vylad in with the news I had learned earlier. And while he may already know, it's also my way of gossiping with someone outside Kandi or Laurance. "I remember Kenmur from Meteli. I'm happy to see he truly moved on from before."

"Did you have romantic feelings for Kenmur?"

I lift my finger from my book, breaking the line I've created between the printed stars and my eyes. Slowly, I shut it and wave his words off with my hands. "Don't be silly. He was older than me then, too, and he was my father's opponent for being a lord. However, I didn't mind his inventive thoughts. Though. . . daddy liked to say Kenmur put wild ideas into my head." I glance back up at the stars, realizing that it's already November, and I can find Pisces. "He was engaged once before, and that didn't turn out too well. . . Look, it's Pisces!"

I point up to the sky once more. My smile grows wide at the idea that this is my sign. Playfully, he scoots behind me and inches his face close to my cheek, meeting where my finger points. I look over at him before rolling my eyes and pushing him over with a laugh.

"You can find your sign, but we can't look for Capricornus," Vylad jests back, rubbing his arm.

"Oh, shush. I can't turn back time."

I go through my book once more, glancing over constellations until they make me feel dizzy with pained eyes. Vylad takes the book into his own lap, connecting what he sees on paper into what's in the sky fairly quickly.

"Would you if you could?"

The look in his eyes alerts me that he doesn't mean for constellations.

"That one's Andromeda," I say, trying to create a diversion.

"That's a pretty name for a daughter," he comments. "I think I would've liked to name my daughter that if I ever had one."

I sigh, dropping my gaze from the sky. The stars blur into one another, and I lose sight of Andromeda. I can't find Pisces either. The stars don't have their sparkle anymore. I take my book from Vylad, but he takes it away from me. He had his finger crammed inside, marking a page of interest.

I eventually give in and allow him to look at the book one last time before I take it for the night and walk away. When I believe we've moved one from the past, Vylad brings it back as if to test me.

I'm over him. I've forced myself to get over him. And with him telling me how he was convinced I was dead and had to move on from a simple friendship, there is no possible us ever again. The mention of a daughter before would've given me hope. My heart would've fluttered. His cheek near mine would've caused my face to dust in pink. Now it does nothing.

Nothing but annoy me because I know it's all a test.

"I'm excited about next month," he says, handing the book to me as we stand. I eye him carefully, trying to think of any constellation he could use to hurt me. When nothing comes to mind, I allow him to continue. "Aries is incredibly visible."

My words are faster than my brain. My brain doesn't think to prevent my lips from moving or allowing my larynx to produce sound. "I don't like that constellation." My words are fast, bitter. They have little thought behind them until it's too late, and they're already said. "I have never favored it in my book, and I will not favor it in the sky."

He hums, clearing his throat for a moment. "With all the talking you do, I feel I know why."