Chapter 3

Theresa left breakfast early to her room. You thought maybe she wasn't feeling well so you decided that you'll stop by some time later. By the time it was lunch, you went by Theresa's hut in hopes of going to lunch with her, or bringing it to her if she didn't feel well. But as you are outside the door, you notice that it is slightly ajar. You are worried so you push the door open, but there was no sign of Theresa. Where did she go? You wander around the room, but realizing you shouldn't be snooping, you start walking towards the door, but something catches your eye. On the table is an empty syringe stained with a few drops of some liquid, and next to it was a letter. Right at the bottom, there's a name. WCKD. You connect everything and gasp. No, this can't be. Maybe I'm just overthinking this. Should I tell someone? But what if it's all a misunderstanding.... Your mind is overwhelmed with thoughts. You quickly leave the hut and bump right into Theresa. She stares at you and is about to ask, but you smile and say in a cheery voice, pretending like you didn't notice anything, "I was just about to look for you because I got worried. Let's go grab some lunch, shall we?" Your voice sounds calm, but inside you are scared. Theresa smiles back and goes to lock the door before taking your arm and heading to lunch. Theresa eyes you in the corner of her eye, she knows. But little did you know, that empty syringe you found on the table contained the virus and was used on you when Theresa was treating your arm last week.

You and Theresa both grab your plate and head over to the usual table. But Theresa gets there before you and takes your seat next to Minho. Weird.... You don't say anything and take the open seat next to Newt with no one sitting in front of you. Everyone starts talking and laughing, but you start feeling left out. All the attention has gone to Theresa and you feel like you're not even there. But it gets worse as you start seeing Theresa being touchy with Minho, gently punching him or leaning into him. And...and Minho seems to like it. Only Newt seems to notice and glances at you, but you excuse yourself saying you forgot to do something, placing on a fake smile. "Y/n..," Newt starts to say but you smile and walk away.

Sitting in the tower alone reading, you look down and see Minho who instantly looks up at you and gives you a smile. You look down and blush, but when you look back up, expecting to see Minho laughing at your embarrassment, you see him looking at Theresa as she walks by. You turn back to your book, saddened. A few minutes later, you hear someone climbing up the ladder. You think it's Thomas since only he comes up here with you, but it's Theresa. You act normal and am about to say hey, but you are cut off by Theresa. "You know I'm working with WCKD. You were snooping in my room and you found out." You protest but she holds up a hand. "Don't bother y/n. Let's get this straight. Since you know, there's nothing I can do except get rid of you. That's the protocol. But how I do it, I obviously won't tell you. Leave this place, or I'll make you leave," Theresa says before climbing back down the ladder and walking towards the medjack hut.

Right before the start of dinner, you try to find one of your best friends, but you don't see them anywhere. You do see Chuck, however, and you run up to him and drag him into the woods, looking frantically in all directions. Theresa sees you from a distance and follows you two. Chuck asks worriedly, "Y/n, what's wrong? Why do you look so scared?" You try to calm yourself before saying, "Chuck, I need to tell you something. I-it's...Theresa, she's wor—." You are cut off as Theresa approaches with a smile. Chuck turns to say hi and Theresa says, "Chuck, I think Newt is calling you." Chuck looks at you and says sorry with his face. You are now truly afraid after seeing Chuck disappear behind the tree. Theresa scoffs. "I'm sorry y/n, but you're making this way more difficult than it has to be," she says, grabbing a rock. "Wait, I won't tell anyone!" You raise your arms to defend yourself but to your surprise, she hits herself in the head. "Theresa, what are you doing?" You go up to her but she runs out of the woods. In the clearing, she yells for help, alarming the gladers who all look worried. You run after her not knowing what you are getting yourself into. You emerge to a group of angry faces, including that of Minho and Thomas's, as Theresa cries and points at you. "Y/n did this, she hit me with a rock." You look wide eyed to everyone gathered and plead, "I swear I didn't do it. She hit herself with the rock." But of course, no one believes you. Not even your best friends. Newt looks at you, not sure whether to believe you or not, but you can tell Minho and Thomas do not. Theresa is taken to the medjack hut and everyone disperses, giving you the side eye. You silently head back to your hut, shutting the door behind you before you slump down against the wall and cry.

Chuck emerges from the woods, and heads straight to Newt who was about to walk back to the main hut. Chuck had been about to leave the woods but then found it odd when Theresa had told him Newt was asking for him because he had just seen Newt before you. So he hid behind a tree and ended up seeing everything that happened. "Newt! Newt, I-I have to tell you something," Chuck says, out of breath. Newt stops and says, "what is it?" Chuck tells everything to Newt, from you being afraid and wanting to tell him something before Theresa came, and all the way to Theresa hitting herself and running out. "Bloody hell," responds Newt, "but we don't have evidence so nobody is going to believe that." Chuck adds, "Then let's get evidence." Newt looks at Chuck, "No, we cannot. That is...we can't Chuck." But he knows that they have to if they want to help you. Inside, Newt knew all along that you would never do something like what was said of you today.

You hear a soft knock on your door before a heavily accented voice calls to you. Newt. "Y/n, it's me. I know you're in there. Chuck saw everything and he told me." There was a pause. "Y/n, I believe you. We will do everything we can to get that shank, I promise. You weren't at dinner, so I brought some....I'll just leave it outside the door." You can hear his quiet footsteps retreat.

You open the door slightly to grab the plate of food Newt brought you, but you didn't feel like eating so you place it aside on the table. You change your clothes and climb into bed, falling into a night of restless sleep.