Chapter 4

Newt comes to get you from your hut, saying that you are needed to fill in for a runner. "You'll be running with Thomas and Minho today, good luck," Newt says. "Thanks, I'm going to need it." You smile at Newt before running to meet up with Minho and Thomas. Newt and Chuck were the only two people who believed you, and they made you feel safer and not alone ever since what happened with Theresa. You missed Minho and Thomas, you missed laughing and joking with your three best friends. But they barely look at you now.

You reach where Minho and Thomas are waiting, right before the opening in the wall. "Hey," you say shyly. Minho and Thomas look at you, but they don't smile as they usually did when they see you. "Y/n," says Thomas in a low voice. They start running into the maze, with you lagging behind them. You guys then split up a bit deeper into the maze, each exploring a part of it.

Back at the glade, Chuck waits until Theresa leaves her hut before slipping in through the door. "Wow, it's a mess," Chuck says to himself. Scanning through Theresa's room, he sees nothing out of the ordinary, so he decides to rummage through the shelves. "There's nothing," Chuck says, becoming frustrated after what seems like the hundredth shelf. Until he spots a box, hidden in plain sight. He opens it and is shocked when he finds the empty syringe and a folded piece of paper. He takes out the paper, opens it and sees at the bottom, the WCKD logo, something he has seen everyday and on every product. "Oh sh-," Chuck smiles, "I found it." Chuck grabs the box and rushes out of the door, running as fast as he can to the hut where Newt and Alby are. Slamming the door open, Newt and Alby jump and look in Chuck's direction.

"Chuck, something wrong?" asks Alby with a questioning look. Chuck is breathing heavily, holding up a pointer finger while he tries to find the words to speak. "I...found...." He holds up the box with the syringe and letter in it, holding it out with one hand for someone to take while he is bent over with the other hand on his knee trying to catch his breath. Newt looks to Alby before walking to Chuck and taking the box. He opens it and looks to Alby again. "Show me," Alby says. Newt places the items on the table. Chuck speaks, this time in full sentences. "I found them in Theresa's room. I think she's working with them." Newt unfolds the letter and reads it aloud, "Bloody hell, we need to get y/n out of the maze," Newt says after he finishes reading. Alby protests, "We can't, they are already in the maze." Newt starts to get angry, "She could get hurt! We can't lose her like we lost—" Alby tries to calm Newt, "Newt, calm down. She will be fine, Thomas and Minho are with her. First, we need to get Theresa and lock her in the slammers before things get worse. Chuck, go get Gally." Chucks nods and runs out the door.

Newt, Alby, Chuck, and Gally walk over to where Theresa is working. "Hello boys, did you need something?" Theresa says with a flip of her hair. Alby takes out the letter and shows it to her face. "We found this." Gally steps behind Theresa and grabs both her arms in a lock, one hand holding both wrists, and a hand on her shoulder as he leads her toward the slammers. "Wait, no I can explain. It was planted, that isn't mine," Theresa tries to plead. "Save it," says Gally. They walk through the glade, everyone turning from their task to watch in surprise and confusion.

Back in the slammers, Theresa pleads with fake innocence to Gally to let her out. Calmly, gally starts speaking. "Here's how this's gonna go. We're gonna ask you some questions, and you will tell us what we need to know." Theresa looks over to Newt. "Don't look at him. Why are you looking at him? He's not gonna help you. Now we found these in your hut," Gally says, holding up the syringe and letter. He leans closer to the door of the slammers and says, "Are you working with WCKD?" Theresa shakes her head and is about to say something but Gally cuts her off saying in a voice that sends chills down her skin, "ARE YOU WORKING WITH WCKD?" Theresa shrinks back and nods. "What did you do to y/n? Answer honestly or we will shucking throw you in the maze within a second." Theresa says quietly, "I injected a virus into her. She was supposed to be a test subject, to see if she could resist the flare. WCKD sent me up here to keep watch of the progress. I just did what they asked, I didn't want to! Please, let me out." Gally continues to ask more questions about WCKD, to get as much information as they can.

Everyone gathers in the meeting hut, silent as Alby explains what happened and what they found. The room becomes loud as everyone talks amongst themselves. There is confusion and anger. "Now back to work, we will have a discussion later tonight about what we do with Theresa," Alby yells over the chatter. But knowing what happened, everyone is just worried for you. Newt, along with Chuck and Alby, decide to wait by the opening for you, Minho, and Thomas to come back.

Newt starts pacing back and forth, biting his thumb nail. Chuck says, "They should be back by now." Alby doesn't say anything and stares into the maze. "They'll be back," Newt says, more in hopes of convincing himself that his best friends are okay.

In the maze, as you are heading back to meet up with Minho and Thomas, you feel more exhausted than usual. Your head feels like it is about to implode and your limbs could collapse. Suddenly, you come to a stop, everything becoming blurry and black dots obscuring your vision. What's happening to me? You scream as a jarring pain hits you, and you stumble, dropping onto the ground. It feels like a thousand needles are ripping you apart. It starts getting colder and you start panting and sweating as more hot-searing pain erupts within you. As you lay there, you hear a muffled sound, sounding like someone screaming your name. Help, I don't want to die. Minho comes running to you, and as he catches sight of you in pain, all his anger dissipates and turns into worry. "Y/n?" When you don't respond, Minho squats down in front of you and notices blackness spreading in the veins of your arm. Minho panics and lifts you up, your body going limp. You start to drift off. "Y/n. Hey, stay with me princess...I'm sorry," Minho says, but it's all muffled to you. Thomas comes running up asking, "What the hell happened?" Minho shakes his head, and they start running back to the glade as fast as they can while carrying you. Reaching near the opening of the walls, Thomas yells, "HELP, WE NEED A MEDJACK!"

Newt stops pacing and quickly looks up to see you in Minho's arms, your arms hanging on the side revealing black veins and your head lolled back. "Oh bloody hell," Newt says. Everyone rushes to get you to the medjack hut. You are placed down on the bed and strapped down in case. Your breathing and sweating increases. Alby clears the hut, besides Clint, Minho, Newt, and Thomas. Clint tends to you, taking a tranquilizer and injecting it into your arm. Your body stills. "Clint, what did you do?" asks Thomas, slight anger in his voice. "It's a tranquilizer," Clint says. Once everyone has calmed down, Newt explains everything.

As you are still unconscious, there is a meeting with all the gladers, discussing whether to kick Theresa out. But Thomas comes up with a better plan, to have Theresa help them get out of this place or be kicked out.