Role Model

A class filled with students. A lively, and bright room. "Ms. Asahina. Could I speak with you for a moment?" The teacher asked, "Ma'am? What is it?" Mafuyu asked. "I wanted to know if you'd be interested in submitting the short essay you wrote for class to a competition." Mafuyu seemed surprised by the Teacher's response. "What? My essay?" The Teacher started talking about how good and well-written it was. "It really wasn't anything special, but I'd be happy to do it if you think I should." The Teacher then agreed and said she'll submit it right now. Mafuyu quickly thanked her.

"Mafuyu! I heard about your essay! Way to go!"

"Yeah! Knowing you, you'll probably get an award!"

"Haha, I don't know about that. I'm sure the other essays will be really good as well." Mafuyu was trying to be humble and then remembered "More importantly... the fact that you're showering me with compliments all of a sudden means you're about to ask me for a favor, doesn't it?" The classmates then said they we're busted and asked her to help them with their studies.

Mafuyu just laughed softly "Thought so. The homework we got today looks pretty hard after all. All right. Today was only a half day, so let's study together." They all said "Thank you" and said Mafuyu was a "lifesaver" 

"Mafuyu, you're so nice. You never get upset and you never brag about having good grades or being good at sports!" "Yeah. Sometimes it's hard to believe people like you actually exist!" 

"Oh, stop. What is it you want this time?" Mafuyu said still with the softest smile ever. "No more favors! Honest! I do feel bad, though. Are you sure you're okay always helping us like this?"

"Huh?"

"Yeah! Mafuyu, you always go out of your way to do what we ask, but you never really ask for anything in return." "Yeah. We'd be happy to do something you'd like to do, you know."

"Something I'd like to do? Hm... I want everyone else to do what they want to do. Seeing others happy makes me happy." Mafuyu said, obviously not knowing what she likes anymore.

"Ack! The light! It's blinding! She's not an angel, she's a goddess!" "Mafuyu! Why couldn't I have been born as your little sister!"

"Ah! Watch out! You can't just glom onto people like that. All right, you two. Break time's over. Time to get back to studying." Mafuyu said and the classmates agreed and said "Yes, ma'am!"

"Oh, by the way Mafuyu..." One of them asked "Huh? What is it?" Mafuyu asked, wondering what they were about to say. "Your.. Your pinky.. You know. The red string of fate! Have you found your soulmate yet?" "Oh, yeah! Whoever your soulmate is, They must be very lucky to have someone like you!" They asked all happy-go-lucky. Mafuyu was silent for a while, the classmates thought she was thinking. "Um.. No. Not yet, I don't really care about it for now." 

"Oh? Really? Huh, Alot of people are obsessed with finding out who their soulmate is.." "Mafuyu, You're so cool, focusing on your studies more than your love life! A goddess indeed!" Mafuyu laughed at their joking for a bit "You two.. Anyways, Let's continue studying."

....

"All right..." Mafuyu logged into Nightcord and it seems like Amia is online. "Oh, Yuki? You're here. How's it going?" "Amia? I'm not used to seeing you on this early." Mafuyu and Amia talked for a bit. "Sorry, Amia. Give me a minute." Mafuyu said and Amia muttered a quick "Sure thing."

"That sounds great. Thanks, Mom." Mafuyu announced, "Okay, cream stew it is. Oh, how'd your study session with your friends go today?" Mafuyu's mother asked, "It was fun. They were really happy when the stuff they didn't understand finally started to click."

"That's nice. Just remember to say no to something if it's too much of an inconvenience, even if they are your friends."

"Huh?"

"....." Amia had seemed to hear about this.

"You'd be better off spending time with people who can challenge you rather than those who always need your help. That way you'd actually be learning something as well. Make sure you're valuing your own time."

"Okay, I will." Mafuyu agreed with her mother's 'wise' words. "Anyway, I'll be back in a little while." Mafuyu's mother walked away. "Yuki, was that your mom just now?" Amia asked "Yeah. Sorry about that." Mafuyu and Amia started conversing, "No, don't mention it. I feel like I should be the one apologizing for eavesdropping"

"But what she just said.... Did she mean she didn't want you to be friends with kids who struggle at school?" Amia seemed curios, "Well, I think she meant it more as advice to try and study with the smarter kids from time to time." Mafuyu seemed like she didn't want to admit that her mom was acting controlling. "I guess you could also take it like that, but... It sounds more like she's saying to pick your friends better. That doesn't bother you? I don't think I'd like it very much if somebody tried to push their own values on me or told me their way of doing things was better. Oh, I'm not saying that's what your mom was doing, though"

Mafuyu was silent, "Yuki? You all right?" Amia seemed concerned for Yuki. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine. That kind of stuff doesn't really bother me, I guess. I was just thinking how people can view these things differently." Mafuyu seemed like she was making excuses, "I see. Everybody's different, I guess. If it doesn't bother you, then great. Oh, sorry for talking so long. I should get back to work." "I should get some work done, too" 

"Phew... This seems like a good place to stop for now." Mafuyu decided to take a break, and soon her mother screamed "Dinner's ready!" and Mafuyu screamed back an "Okay!" 

"Amia, I'm going to log off for a while. I'll be back on later tonight." Mafuyu getting ready to go down, "Okay! Later!" Yuki logged off.

"This looks delicious! Thanks mom!" Mafuyu complimented on her mom's cooking and so her mom giggled a bit, and told Mafuyu to eat while it's still warm. "Mafuyu, you're entering your second year at school this year. How are your university entrance exams studies going?" Mafuyu's father asked, "They're going just fine. Prep school is actually pretty fun." 

"I'd be great if your dream of becoming a doctor came true. I'm sure you'll get into whatever university you want, but you should probably choose which one you like best soon."

"Which one I like best..."

"Yes. Your father and I took the liberty of gathering some materials from a few schools we think would be good. You should look through them later." Mafuyu's mother said, "They're all schools that'll help you learn to your full potential." Mafuyu's father added. "Oh, thanks." Mafuyu said, still with a smile.

"The decision is up to you, though. You could even study abroad if that's what you want. If there's anything you want to discuss, just let us know." 

"That's right. You should do whatever it is you want to, Mafuyu"

"Just make sure you give it plenty of thought, okay?"

"Hey now, stop babying Mafuyu. She's more than capable of making her own decisions. She's our pride and joy, after all"

"And I'm sure you're tied, to a wonderful husband who will treat you well and give you the best life."

Mafuyu was silent for a bit, a frown suddenly turning to a happy smile. "Yes, you're right. Don't worry I'll think it through carefully."

Mafuyu was alone in her room, it was dark with only a study lamp on. "So annoying..."

"Great job as usual, Ms. Asahina"

"We'd be happy to do something you'd like to do, you know."

"Just make sure you give it plenty of thought, okay?"

"She's our pride and joy, after all."

"What I want to do..." Mafuyu had a blank expression on her face. "Does such a thing even exist? I just don't know..."

"Mafuyu." A white haired girl, similar to the one shown on Kaneda's computer before said. 

"Miku..."

"I wish I could just stay in SEKAI forever."