6: Amber Orbs

Zhan has a conscience. Yang Zi is still his wife.

He isn't too selfish. He is slightly dumb with heart matters but isn't numb.

When Yang Zi fled, Zhan felt obliged and ought to follow her. Before they became lovers, they were once good friends. He should console her, at least. Try to lessen her pain, at best.

"Bo-di, I just need to speak with your Yang Zi-jie. I will be back soon." Zhan leaned in and peck the smooth jade skin on Yibo's forehead. His phoenix eyes were mellow and gentle. Now that he knew his heart, "I promise to protect and love you rightly this time around."

"Wait for me." Zhan was slowly letting go of Yibo's hand to follow Yang Zi. A short goodbye with a promise to come back. Suddenly he felt a light nudge at his palm. A weak grip that sent shivers of joy in his spine.

Zhan stopped. His pulses pounded fast and strong.

Everything else ceased to matter..."Yibo?" Zhan mouthed like a hum of song, surprised and thrilled. And when his vision reached Yibo's face, the amber eyes he had craved through the depressing two years had finally opened. "Yibo!" He cried. He rejoiced. He thanked Heaven for its mercy.

Zhan cupped Yibo's face in a hurry, stroke the silky cheeks and towered above the laying man to have a good look at his Didi.

Zhan's slightly reddened and moist eyes sparkled with joy. "Bo-di!" "Didi!" "Yibo!" His call seemed to glorify the quiet man.

However, that elation was shortly cut off when those charming amber eyes and slender lashes blinked timidly at him.

Zhan saw his reflection in those beautiful orbs, but there were no brightness or familiarity expressed in them. This, Zhan was petrified and scared. This,

a sign that something wasn't right.

"W-Who..." The younger's voice was raspy and hoarse. Even in his weakened state, Yibo had left Zhan's soul trembling. "...who are y-you?" The words drifted to Zhan's ears.

-------
A/N:

31-Jul-'22