8: Gege

Platonic to romantic.

Zhan's heart changed. It was quite obvious.

Seungyoun felt fate was such a tease, a tricky-cruel tease. Yibo once desired Zhan so much, but now, that feeling disappeared together with his memories without any trace left.

He wondered what the future will hold for these two poor souls. When one was ready at last, the other had moved on.

---------

Few weeks more came and pass. Eventually, Yibo was allowed to go home and only will need to visit the hospital twice a week for a supervised muscle rehab therapy.

It would've been too quiet at his childhood home and a little awkward with Zhan alone, thankfully his Aunt Wei was there to welcome him.

"My boy!" The plump lady's voice has always been endearing and kind. "Give this old woman a hug. I am so glad you can finally return home!"

As Yibo sinked in her arms, he can't help but wander his eyes to the wide space besides Aunt Wei where his parents should've been standing, waiting for him to come home.

Zhan noticed his glazed eyes and immediately filled that vital gap, showing him his bunny smile which seemed to push Yibo's worries behind. "Welcome home, Bobo." Zhan simply said and Yibo's lips curled up, mood suddenly brightened.

"Mn." The familiar response made Zhan's heart skip. His fingers itched to tousle Yibo's mane but he had to endure the innocent desires, not wanting the boy to be wary of him especially now that he does not remember him.

The group then brought Yibo and his stuff inside. Surprisingly, the house was maintained like how Yibo had last seen it before he went to New York. At the same time, there was this restless feeling of being a stranger to his own home.

"Yibo?" Zhan's call made him stop thinking and turn around. "Y-Your room is here."

The younger's eyes slightly widened, a dazed look of puzzlement apparent on his face. He looked at the room he had entered and was sure he used to sleep in that Young Master's bedroom with neutral colours. But somehow Zhan pointed at the opposite room.

Fraught, Yibo paced back to where Zhan motioned. Indeed, his things were placed neatly on the shelves of that room including his childhood photos and lego collections. Even his clothes were folded neatly inside the cupboards. It was beyond him why they were arranged as if he had placed them there himself.

It does not make sense to him.

He felt more conflicted when he looked through the window. He shivered at the sight of the tall cyprus tree and the wide forest beyond. 'This definitely isn't my room.' He is afraid of the darkness and that view from the window, that creepy forest will surely haunt him day and night.

His brow knitted slightly, "I don't think this is my room. I can't remember staying in here."

He wondered why Zhan's jaw slacked and quivered, and his bright eyes turned cloudy. "I see." The older replied. "My mistake." He awkwardly scratched the back of his head, trying to avoid Yibo's stare. "Please settle yourself and rest in the other room then. I'll move your things over later."

For some reason, Yibo can read through Zhan's avoidant expressions and saw the disappointment and sadness in his eyes. 'Why though?' Yibo found himself asking.

---------

Resting, Yibo laid on the bed, staring at the plain ceiling of the room he chose. His thoughts were still wondering.