Chapter 10

They were standing outside Rikers stressing around as Valentina hasn't shown up yet.

"You know what? As much as I want Peter to pay for what he did to her. I understand why she doesn't wanna press charges against him" Carisi said when Valentina came walking towards them with a child in her arms.

"Where have you been? He gets released soon" Carisi asks looking at Valentina as he offered to hold Mateo for a bit and surprisingly he didn't complain about it.

"I had to pick up Mateo at social services. He just arrived from Chicago a few hours ago" Valentina said apologising to them.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to bring a kid to a prison?" Fin asked corned for Mateo safety.

"No, but he has all of us to protect him plus I made a deal with Peter the could get to see his son for a short moment" Valentina explained as Fin just nodded his head asking no further questions.

"Daddy!!" She heard Mateo yelled as she looked up and saw Peter walking out with two guards as they thanked them and he walked over to them.

Peter turned to look at Valentina happily. "Is that my son?" he said walking closer to them as she went over to take her son back from Carisi.

"He's a cute boy. Can I hold him? Is Nick here?" Peter asked smilling at Mateo.

"No he's not. He's not ready to face you yet and I think that's also for the best. And yeah sure" Valentina said as she sat Mateo down and in split seconds he was up in Peters arms.

"Mommy is uncle Tony gonna come here as well?" Mateo asked looking at his mother hopefully.

"Uncle Tony is in Chicago. But here you have Uncle Rafa, Sonny and Fin" Valentina said as Mason just smiled at her leaning his head on his dad's shoulder.

As they were walking back to their cars Valentina got an idea.

"Peter would you mind watching Mateo for a few hours?" Valentina asked with that one look in her eyes that Amanda and Carisi knew too well.

"Yeah sure, no problem. Just text me when I need to drop him off again" Peter said happily with his son in his arms as they walked off towards their respective cars. 

"What do you have in mind Val?" Carisi asked curious but also knowing a bit what it might be. 

"That's for Nick to find out or should I say Detective Amaro" Val said wriggling her eyebrows at the two of them as she jumped in the car with both Amanda and Carisi as they shared their heads. 

"Omg Val!" Amanda said laughing knowing exactly what she meant by that as she may or may not have tried the same thing with Carisi. 

After a good half hour drive from Rikers to Val and Nick's apartment she jumped out of the car and was about to run inside as Carisi and Amanda were driving off again when Zara came running out of the apartment door all frightened. 

"Zara what's wrong?" She asked as she looked at the little girl in front of her who had tears in her eyes. 

"Daddy's hurt. You have to help him it's really bad" She said crying as Val told her to stay there when she ran after Amanda and Carisi yelling at them to stop and turn around. 

"Get to our apartment now!" She yelled as they parked the car and sprinted out and after Val and Zara. 

"Zara is there anyone in there besides your dad?" Val asked her as she nodded her head as a no. When Val put her gun away and busted through the door telling Zara to wait in the hallway as she ran over to Nick seeing laying on the ground with pieces of glass and blood around him. 

"Nick! What happened?!" She asked him running to get a towel as he had been shot in his lower abdomen. 

"This is Detective Valentina Dawson SVU, I need a buss stat to 2426 Oakwood Avenue. Officer down! I repeat officer down!" Valentina yelled into her radio as Carisi came running in while Amanda stayed with Zara in the hallway. 

"What the hell!" He said as he saw Nick on the floor and Valentina holding a pressure to his wound as two paramedics came running in short time after. 

"Stay with me Nick!" Valentina yelled frightened as he started losing consciousness when the paramedics took him up on the stretcher and gave him oxygen. Carisi held her back so that they could do their job when she grabbed onto him and started breaking down as they rolled Nick out of the apartment and out in the ambo. 

"One of you can come with him if you want" A paramedic said as Carisi suggested for Valentina got with him as she followed the paramedic out. 

"I'll take care of Zara meanwhile don't worry" Amanda said holding the little girl in her arms. 

"I'll call Liv" Carisi said as the of them walked out and drove towards Mercy Hospital with Zara on the backseat while Carisi was on the phone with Olivia.