Chapter 6 - Study Proximity

Willow

Sitting on Hunter's motorcycle, pressed up against his back, my hands trapped between his school backpack and his stomach, I wonder if I'll ever get used to how strange this feels. The first money I get my hands on, I'm going to buy myself a bicycle... and re-learn how to ride it. My father taught me when I was about four, but I haven't ridden a bicycle for many years. Grandmother didn't think it was dignified.

The intimacy is disconcerting; I can feel his muscles move every time he moves. My discomfort increases with every stop, every turn, and every action that causes me to have to tighten my grip. I'm blushing redder than a tomato by the time Hunter brings the motorcycle to a stop in front of their gate. I almost trip over myself in my haste to get off the motorcycle and away from the boy and his enticing fragrance.

"Thanks," I say, stuffing the helmet into his hands when he'd parked the bike in the garage and I'd closed the gate again. I turn away from his questioning eyes and run for the patio, my backpack uncomfortably slapping against my back. I honestly cannot understand how people are able to tolerate carrying their schoolbags on their backs. I hate doing it; it makes me feel like a heavy-duty labourer. Backpacks were also against the rules at Mount Sovereign Academy for Girls, which might be why I'm having a hard time getting used to it. Right now, though, I don't want to pause to slip it off. I need to get as far away from Hunter as possible, as fast as I can.

"Oh! By the way! Flush twice if there are solids; that toilet is a bit dicky!" Hunter is shouting after me.

What is he talking about?!

Does he think I'm having a bathroom emergency? Honestly, I have no privacy anymore, none, zip, nada! Why is he even thinking about my bodily functions?!

"Oh, do be quiet!" I shout back and hear him chuckle while I unlock the front door and storm into the house. He is such a Pest!

In my bedroom, I tear off my school uniform as fast as humanly possible. It is quite an achievement, with Little-Piddle excitedly milling around my ankles. For once, I leave my clothes draped semi-neatly over my bed instead of hanging them in my closet. Hastily dressed in a fluffy pink and white tracksuit and sneakers, I grab the dog and run from my room.

Hunter

I guess Willow is really mad at me. I don't blame her. I'd be pissed too, if some strangers caused me to get detention on my first day at a new school. No, actually, I would probably get the detention all by myself on my first day at a new school. That kind of thing seems to really matter to Willow, though. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it up to her.

Teasing her is probably not helping, but honestly, I just love the way she gets all snippy when I mess with her. I put away the helmets and make a quick check-in round in the small room at the back of the garage.

Willow is storming down the patio stairs when I'm done and finally head towards the front door. The way she looks inspires visions of candyfloss and snow bunnies. Seriously, she should not be let out in public by herself. She's a hazard to the mental health of every male in the neighbourhood. I move to intercept her but then rethink my actions. What am I doing? What was I going to say?

Don't go out looking all fluffy, cute, and vulnerable.

Why? Because other guys might want to... What exactly? Feed her? Adopt her? Protect her? Get to know her? Ask her out? Seriously, so what?!

Anyway, I need to at least apologise for my part in ruining her first day at Briar High. I start to do so, but she simply ignores me, deterring Piddles' attempts to greet me. She is definitely determined to reach the freedom offered by the gate just a few steps away. Okay, I can understand her wanting some space right now. No problem.