Chapter 64 - Surprise Visits

Becca

I look up when Ryan pops into my office and plants himself on the corner of my desk. He often does that. Usually, he has something on his mind or a request for help or advice. 

He also quite frequently just wants to shoot the breeze or blow off some steam, which is great. I love how he seems to value my amateur opinion about things. He said talking to me stimulates his brain and that I'm being helpful, giving him good ideas even when I have no idea what he is on about.

At first, I thought he was just being kind, but he's been doing it more and more often, so there must be some truth to what he said. I like being his sounding board. I've learned so much from him in the short time I've been working here, and it makes me happy when I contribute to making his work life easier, even when it's only in small ways. I also enjoy our random chats about nonsense. Conversations with Ryan are very relaxing and entertaining.

"Becks, I'm off to town. I want to go buy some parts for the car. I'll be back to pick you up later, okay? Unless you want to come with me now? I could drop you off at home first if you don't want to go car part shopping." 

He is always so incredibly kind and considerate.

"Thanks; there are still a few things I'd like to get done here today; I'll just grab the bus later. No need to come all the way back again if it's just to give me a ride home."

"No, I'll..."

"The bus, Ryan... It's really big, it has wheels, and it will pick me up a block from here and drop me off less than a block from home. I looked it up after Willow told me about her adventure yesterday. Now that I know the bus routes, I will use them more often. Public transport is such a grand invention, don't you think?"

Ryan laughs, shaking his head. Even he can see that I'm making a valid point. "If you take the bus when we're both leaving from or for home at the same time, I'm putting you over my knee."

"As fun as that sounds, I think I'll just grab a lift with you on those occasions to avoid it." 

I enjoy carpooling with Ryan. Sometimes, we have interesting chats, and sometimes we just quietly enjoy some music. I am so happy that I am becoming good friends with Beth's husband. The more I get to know him, the more I realise he is a perfect match for her.

"Fine," Ryan chuckles, rising from my desk. "Do you need anything from town?"

"No, thank you. I'm good."

"You sure about that?" He tilts his head, giving me an encouraging smile. "You seem a bit off since yesterday. You know Beth and I are here for you, right? My door is always open for a chat." 

He has proven that on multiple occasions last week.

"Thank you, Ryan," I smile, touched by his concern, though I doubt he will enjoy the cause of my off-ness. "I truly do appreciate that. I'm fine. Really." There is no way that I can tell him about my shameless behaviour with his best friend. What will he think of me then? "By the way, it's a two-way street. I'm here for you too."

"I know," he smiles. "Thanks. Let's grab some coffee tomorrow, okay?" 

We have coffee together multiple times a day, sometimes alone, sometimes with other staff, but I understand what he's saying. There is having coffee, and then there is having coffee with some deep conversation thrown into the mix.

"Sure, that will be nice," perhaps we could talk about Willow and Hunter and the concerns I'm strongly starting to feel about them.

"I'll see you at home then," he gives me a wave and leaves my cubicle. After a couple of seconds, I can hear him laughing with some of the students on his way to the exit. Having friends who love and support you during your toughest times is worth more than all the gold and precious stones in the world.