Chapter 19 - Play Date

Willow

Jake is positively the most even-tempered person I've ever met. His presence has a rather calming effect, even Little-Piddle is less boisterous with him around.

I thought Asher was unexcitable and relaxing and that might be the case, but he is also very quiet. Jake is not quiet at all; he is actually quite talkative once you get him to speak. He has vast knowledge on numerous topics (well, he does read and study all the time) and he seems to enjoy sharing that knowledge.

I really loved helping him make our snacks. I never thought it possible to be this at ease in a boy's company. I am pleasantly surprised.

His parting words suddenly sink in, making me frown. "Work?" I ask Paisley. I thought Jake was just going to use the study to get at all the yummy books in there. Jake seems to love books as much as I do, except that I've never seen him read anything that's not non-fiction. I adore fiction.

"He does some freelance work for Uncle Ryan. The pay is really good and Tech Stuff will be sponsoring Jake's studies next year. He'll join the company full-time once he graduates."

"Oh, of course, my mother said something like that! It sounds awesome."

"Yeah, it is. You should hear it when Uncle Ryan and Jake get together, those two nerds only speak geek. They're such dorks."

"I can hear you!" Jake yells from somewhere near the study, making Paisley laugh.

"Don't boys generally speak a language of their own?" I ask. "I mean, what is wow and upugh...? Or whatever..."

Paisley snorts with laughter. "World of Warcraft, not sure about the upugh bit, though," she thinks it over for a second and then her face lights up, "Do you mean Pub-G? PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. They're online multiplayer games. Have you grown up under a rock?"

I pull a face. "No, in a convent, remember?"

Paisley laughs cheerfully, grabs her food and coffee, and nods her head towards the kitchen door. "Let's go look at your stuff some more."

"Do you want to raid my closet too?" I laugh.

"Only next time I'm going to re-enact scenes from nursery rhymes for the kids in the hospital, Little Miss Muffet."

What is she talking about?

I roll my eyes. She's never even seen me in anything but my school uniform. Hunter really seems to tell her everything. I gasp, suddenly hit by an alternative possibility.

"Were you in the park on Monday when the guys were playing Murder Ball?"

"Murder Ball?" Paisley blinks at me and then she's laughing again. "Wow, they'll love that name. I think we should totally name it that officially. Yes, I was there, someone has to patch them up afterwards. Nice tackle you tried there on Ashy, by the way. Very impressive. Never would've thought you'd be the kind who likes violent contact sports."

I roll my eyes at her again.

At this rate, I'm going to get motion sickness!

Entering my room, I set my coffee and plate on the nearest bedside table and sit down on the foot-end of my bed, my back resting against one of the posts.

"Why do they do that? It seemed a bit... uhm..."

"Yeah, I know... I hate it... Asher got hurt too. That's why I was mad at him and did the whole smoking thing," Paisley's laughter is gone, her eyes haunted.

"Tan doesn't do it anymore, because being bruised and banged up doesn't always fit well with upcoming photoshoots. Actually, he gets rid of his stress in much worse ways. Jake never plays with them; he doesn't feel that kind of pressure now that he's found his way in life." She shakes her head, ridding herself of melancholic feelings. "Come on, show me your dollies."