quinque

Looking forward to our trip to Tagaytay was a letdown because of how busy we both were—just when I thought that our semestral break would only compose of either random trips with Elias or just 90% of me sleeping at home.

But my dear mother was just good at ruining vacations for me.

I was sure enough that it was probably for me not to meet Elias.

"Ate... where are we going?" Isla asked, tugging the hem of my skirt. I sighed and held her hand as we were walking out of the house. Hindi ko rin alam kung ano'ng pumasok sa utak ni mommy para biglang isama kami sa lahat ng events that she scheduled for the entire sem break. Even Isa was confused because she hadn't even been outside for that long because of her violin and language lessons after classes, and all of a sudden, she was being forced to smile in front of the cameras.

When we were in front of the car assigned to us, I crouched down in front of Isla, fixing the loose strands of curly hair that were blocking her eyes, "Are you scared?"

She nodded almost immediately.

I sighed, "Do you want to go?"

She shook her head.

As much as I didn't want to anger mom because I was sure I'd be asking for a death sentence if Isla wouldn't be at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new public hospital that my parents sponsored, I also didn't want to see Isla suffer because it was scorching hot today! Kahit na may nanny si Isla para paypayan siya, siguradong hindi niya kakayanin 'yung init dahil laking aircon 'yung bata.

Ewan ko ba kay mommy.

Sobrang insensitive.

I was just so close to believing that she only had us para lang may maipagmayabang.

"Do you miss kuya Eli?"

Isla smiled all of a sudden and nodded like the happy kid she was, "Say... do you want to go to your ate Astrid first and then I'll ask kuya Eli to fetch you?"

"Okay!" she uttered, giggling. I couldn't think of any excuses just so they'd let Isla leave. Alam ko kung ga'no karami ang tao pag groundbreaking—not that I was being an elitist, but the last time na isinama si Isla sa isang outdoor event, she was crying so hard dahil sobrang init at hindi siya makahinga and mom, instead of understanding her situation, just got mad because Isla, for her, was causing a scene.

God the way my blood boiled when I saw how Isla was crying so bad and asking me why our mother was like that.

"Yes, why bebs?"

"Astrid... I need help," I uttered, sighing. "Can you pick up Isla?"

"Why, ano meron?"

Napa-buntonghininga ulit ako, "You know how sensitive Isla is with heat, 'di ba? And mom can't even remember how she reacted badly last time she was exposed to heat," I uttered. "They're forcing her to attend the groundbreaking ceremony."

"What the hell?"

Natawa ako, "Yeah, what the hell talaga."

"Okay, so what do we do?"

"We'll be together naman sa groundbreaking so... you can take her when we're there na."

"Okay," she says. "Will I take her to Eli's place?"

I smiled, "Yes please, Astrid. I love you, thank you. I really owe you one."

Natawa naman siya, "Sus, chosera!"

I was really glad I was friends with Astrid because our family was in the same circle and it meant being invited to similar events, hence seeing each other often. But unlike our family, Astrid's were never the condescending ones and just let Astrid live the way she wants.