XXXIX

Of course, Brett eventually did fall asleep. All this being sick and discovering he had a crush on his best friend and said best friend being a man was extremely exhausting. He also couldn't remember a time where he had gone through so many emotional ups and downs (mostly downs) in such a short period of time like he had in the last twenty-four hours.
So, sleep was very much needed and when Brett woke up the next morning, he actually felt a lot better.
He was even able to contain the rising panic inside him, when he felt Eddy's arm wrapped around his torso.

But there was something else rising, which he couldn't really control and he gulped. Well, it was morning, so it was kind of natural. The guy he was in love with snuggling his face to his side wasn't helping though, so Brett carefully slid out of bed and made his way to the bathroom on wobbly legs to calm himself down and pee, dragging his drip with him.

Eddy was still sleeping soundly, when Brett came back. He took his phone and made his way to some waiting area in the hallway, which was deserted at this time so early in the morning.

There was an important call he had to make. Firstly, because he wouldn't hear the end of it if he wouldn't speak to this person and secondly and most importantly, he needed someone to vent everything to without this someone being his more or less out of question love interest.

So, Brett tapped on the contact and waited.

"Hello?"
He froze. A female voice? What, did Ray get a girlfriend in the meantime, who answered his phone now?
"Uhm... I'm looking for Ray, is this Ray Chen's phone?"
The person on the other end chuckled.
"No, it's not. But you called a pianist. That alright too?"
Brett looked at the receiver's name and mentally slapped himself.
"Belle!", he exclaimed, "Sorry, it's Brett! I must have chosen the wrong Chen on the list."
He heard laughter as clear as a bell. How fitting, he thought.
"It's fine. Nice hearing you!"
"Yeah, same, actually."

Brett didn't know Belle well. He had met her a few times when she had still been living in Brisbane with her family, before she had moved to London. He liked her fine, but hadn't really had a chance to have a deeper talk with her, since he'd always hung out with Eddy.

"How have you been? I heard a bit from Eddy, that you're having a rough time at the moment? Are you at the hospital?", she asked, sounding genuinely concerned.
Brett sighed. "Yeah, bit annoying, this whole illness thing. We're still waiting for an appointment for a proper scan."
"I see... You know, Eddy called me yesterday, when you were unconscious."
"He did?" Brett's heart dropped.
"Yes. he called last time too, when you guys went to the hospital the first time. He was pretty out of it."
"How... how was he holding up?", Brett asked, even though he didn't really want to hear the answer.
"I don't know if he'd want me to tell you this. There is a reason he called me, you know."
The same reason Brett was trying to talk to someone, he guessed.
"I get it. Don't tell, if you feel like you shouldn't."

"Brett", Belle's tone went soft, "I think you know this already, but Eddy deeply cares for you."
The butterflies came back at full force and Brett had to swallow hard. "I... I know... I think."
"And it might not be my place to say this, but Eddy is my little baby brother." Brett heard the subtle change in her voice, a typical big sister tone. "Please, try to take as good care of yourself as you can. It would ease his worries, I'm sure."
"I'll try", Brett replied and brushed through his hair, "We already agreed on taking a break. So, I will be fine."
"Good! That's very good. You guys are crazy anyways, keeping up this schedule with practicing, filming and everything while you're having this condition..." He could hear her shaking her head through the phone and had to smile.

"What can I say? We love what we do!"
"Yes, and that's great. But it can be dangerous too, if it overwhelmes you and you don't hit the breaks in time. You need to find a good balance. I know, when you're young, you think you can do everything all at once. But it'll come back to you eventually."
"You sound like my mum."
Belle laughed. "Sorry. I just care for you guys and as much as I love what you do, I'd also like you to not have a burnout at some point. Don't forget, that you did end up at the hospital again."
"I know. No need to apologize, Belle", Brett smiled, "I appreciate your concern. Really! And I promise, we're going to take care of ourselves."
"Good! That's what I wanted to hear!"
"Do you always get your will?"
"Most of times, yes", she sniggered, "Alright, I don't want to keep you from calling whoever you really wanted to call."
"It's actually nice talking to you! You're a great big sister. I'm glad Eddy has you... And thank you for being there for him when I can't."
"Aww, how moving."
"Shall I hang up before it gets too sappy?", Brett chuckled.
"One more thing, Brett", Belle said, sounding more serious again.
"What is it?"
"Eddy, he... I've never seen him caring for anyone this much like he does for you now."
"What about his past girlfriends? Those relationships were all pretty serious for him, no?" Brett kind of knew he might have been overstepping some line. He could easily ask Eddy those questions, but if an opportunity presented itself like this, it was hard to resist.

"He did", Belle said slowly, seemingly thinking about her next words, "but... Not like this, Brett. Of course, his girlfriends had never been in a health situation like you are now. I don't know... It's just the way he talks about you. There is so much... tenderness and care..."
Brett couldn't help but let a stupid smile spread across his face.

"Uhm... Really?"
"Yes! So much concern... I wished there was someone in my life like he is in yours. It's unfair!"
Brett laughed. "He is your little brother! Ain't that enough?"
"Of course! It's plenty. But you know what I mean... I can't marry my little brother, can I?"
Brett had to cough upon hearing Belle's words.
"I can't marry him either, Belle!", he exclaimed with a raspy voice.
"Why not? It's the 21st century! No one would judge you."

A new, scary thought popped into his head.
"You sure?", he said, his mood suddenly very gloomy, "We both come from Asian households..."
"Hmmm...", Belle made, "yeah, you might have a point... Mum wouldn't be super pleased..."

She paused.
Fuck, Brett thought.

"Brett, if that's your biggest concern with what I just said..."
Fuck! Brett thought again.
"Does that mean, you yourself wouldn't mind marrying him?" He could hear her grin through the phone and cursed himself, his stupid mouth for answering stupid hypothetical questions and his dumb brain for not stopping his stupid mouth in time.

"I'm straight! Eddy's straight!" His response sounded weak.
"You sure?"
Well, Brett knew he wasn't, not only, but there was just no way in hell he could tell that his crushes sister. At least not now.
"Yes!?", he tried, pathetically.

"Not sure about Eddy. He always had a thing for pretty K-pop boys, don't you know?"

Of course he knew! But it was just a minor thing that would give his heart too much unsubstantiated hope and that was the last thing he could use right now! Better let all the little flames die before it caught fire and destroyed all of him.

"But, he has never dated any.... guys..."
"He hasn't. But he has never denied anything when I asked him after his nth girlfriend, if he wouldn't consider something... well, different."
"You asked him that?" Belle had always appeared so well mannered. A perfect Asian daughter really. So her suggesting something so outrageous for their culture was very... surprising.

"Yes!", she said without hesitation, "Why not? He's my brother and as I said, I want to look after him. And it just seems a bit weird, that neither of his past relationships have worked out, despite him always taking it very seriously and putting in tons of effort."
That was true and Brett himself had wondered about that too. He'd never asked Eddy though.

"But I'm positive, if something this important changes about him, he'll talk to you!", Belle said.
Would he really? Brett wasn't so sure. They recently did have that more or less serious conversation about relationships and Eddy had made some very vague comments, but that had been it.
"We'll see", Brett finally said, his head spinning with confusing thoughts evoked by Belle.

"Alright. Well, Brett, I gotta go and you have another phone call to make, so remember what I said and take care! Of both of you!"
"I'll try", Brett replied, "Thanks Belle, for listening and all your advice... And thank you for being there for Eddy when he needs you. I really appreciate that."
"No problem! Big sister duty! And you can call anytime if you want to talk." And with that, she hung up.

Brett let out a deep sigh and brushed through his hair.
Ray had to wait. There was no way he was diving into another potentially exhausting phone call after the talk he'd just had.