Ghostbusters Make Great Company

Max's POV: 

I peeled open my eyes and groan in protest of the light seeping through the window. The sun is too bright. I slowly climbed out of the old bed and stumbled over to my closet to start this joyful day! I threw on blue jeans, a colored shirt and my blue jacket. Fantastic. I walked to my shared bathroom and banged on the door, 

"Billy! Hurry up!" I called, frustrated by his existence 

"Maxine!" I heard Neil Yell out from downstairs,  I winced at the volume I produced. "Get the hell down here!" He boomed.  Billy opened the door and made eye contact with my slightly terrified face, I expected him to shove past me or flip me off, or something Billy-like, but he just stared at me with I blank face. "MAXINE!" The voice boomed.  Billy's jaw clenched and he quickly walked around me and slammed him own door shut. That was weird . Billy was half decent. 

I carefully walked down the stairs to my "father" who was standing up by the kitchen counter waiting for me. His dark hair fell over his forehead and his eyebrows were screwed together in anger. His teeth were gritted and I felt myself gulp. his eyes threatened to hit me and I knew what was coming. I looked up at him and forced my face to not convey any emotion. "Maxine..." He said in a grumbling low voice. "You-" He grabbed my face in his hand harshly "Shut the hell up." HIs grip tightened and his nails started to pierce my skin. He then threw me into the wall and slapped my across the face, a loud smacking sound echoed around the house. I fell to the floor and with a kick to my stomach, Neil walked away muttering, "Pathetic" The pain in my stomach, face, and even my head was immense from that lovely encounter. 

I stumble up the stairs and to the now empty bathroom, Billy's door was still closed. I looked up to the mirror and my broken expression stared back. There was a bright red mark on the side of my face and blood dripping down my chin from where Neil dug his nails into my skin. I carefully touched the back of my head and felt like a knife had been smacked into my head. I quickly removed my hand and am met with more blood. seriously? Okay... I checked my stomach and was filled with annoyance. Definitely going to bruise.  Add it to the collection shall we. Neil's words echoed through my mind, "Pathetic..." I really was pathetic, no friends and a broken family. Like I said, my life is fantastic. 

I broke into tears and slapped myself in the face. Get it together Maxine. You're pathetic. I sniffled and winced at my state in the mirror, time to get to work. I held up a washcloth to my face and the bleeding eventually stopped. I then moved on to my head. I held the washcloth there for a few minutes, until it stopped bleeding, I scrubbed the dried blood out of my hair and moved to the giant red mark on my face, It would fade in time for school, not that anyone would notice. I scrambled down the hall to my room and finished getting ready. Tonight was Halloween. Tonight I would leave this house and not come back for hours. I tied my shoelace and climbed through my window, no way I was going to pass Neil, his very presence is revolting. I walk carefully to the tree and climb down. My feet hit the ground and I wasted no time in getting away from the house.

As I sped past shops I realized I never had any food. No problem, models starve themselves all the time, I would be fine. I heard Billy's car pull up and He stopped at the curb. I got the hint and shuffled to a stop. Picking up the board, I walked around to the passenger side. I shut the door and Billy started the car again. I remembered the argument I had with Billy yesterday and I kept my mouth shut while he was driving. We pulled up to the high school after a few minutes of Billy ignoring me. He was being decent but that didn't mean anything with Billy, he had horrible mood swings so he would be threatening to kill me by the end of the day.

I hopped out of the car and practically ran to the middle school, students filed in but a particular group caught my eye, I gasped out loud when I finally realized what had happened. They wore costumes to school. Ohhh yikes... The stalkers didn't get the memo. I started to feel bad as I saw the looks of terror befall their faces when they realized they were alone in their Halloween spirit. I recognized the theme after a moment of concentration, Ghostbusters. It was an alright idea and not horribly executed but this was gonna be rough. Stalkers, in costumes, at school. That's a bad recipe. 

I continued in my path to my first class when I heard people already talking about them.

"Who ya gonna call?" An annoying voice echoed through the halls, "THE NERDS!" I pressed forward and finally made it to the door of the strangest teacher I've ever had. Mr. Clarke. 

He turned to me and smiled, "Max, welcome back to class, ready to board the boat over the sea of science?" Ready for my to stick a pencil up your- my thoughts were interrupted by someone bumping into me, I started to stumble when someone grabbed my arm, guess who it was, one of the stalkers, I met his eyes and he began to speak. 

"Are you okay? I'm so sorry for mike, he wasn't looking where he was going-" He looked over to the pale boy with a glare before he turned back to me.

"It's fine." I muttered and turned back to my seat as the bell rang. The boy still stood at the front of the class and Mr. Clarke put a hand on his shoulder which caused him to move back to his chair. 

1036 words tysm for reading!