The Drive

Max's POV:

The fresh, cold morning air always made me feel sick. Something about the way it frooze your face and burned your lungs. I was contemplating murder plans for the icy wind as Steve's car pulled up. I got up from my place on the porch and slowly approached the car, swinging my bag over my shoulder. El was still asleep so I left her a note, explaining where I went. I continued walking to the car and I saw Steve mumbling to songs playing on the radio. I resisted the urge to grin.

I placed my hand on the door and quickly pulled the door open before my hand froze off on Steve freezing car. I hopped in and placed my bag on the floor while Steve started the car. "Hey," He had a light lipped smile on his face.

"Hey," I said back, letting only a tiny smile present itself. He started the car but it didn't move. I looked over to see what the problem was but he was only looking at me with raised eyebrows.

"... What?" I finally questioned.

"Seatbelt." I furrowed my eyebrows but none the less followed his instructions, strapping my self onto the chair.

"Okay?" I confusedly replied. Steve let out a small laugh.

"Okay." He stated and started the car. The drive was mainly quiet aside from the faint music playing. I slowly started thinking about everything I was getting into. Driving to my house with Steve Harrington. My brother's sworn enemy. What if when we get there Billy challenges Steve to a duel? We would get plastic swords and a fog machine- that would be aweso- getting off topic. Okay. I'm about to pull up into my driveway. Billy will beat the hell out of Steve. Niel would walk out and beat the hell out of all of us. Crap. What am I doing? I shouldn't have gotten Steve involved in all of this.

"-ou okay?" I thought of the horrors of getting home when- "Max!" I flinched and looked over at Steve who had his hand on my shoulder, shaking me slightly. I looked back at the street and realized Steve had pulled over. He sighed and leaned back in his seat.

"You almost gave me a heart attack." His head snapped back over to me. "Are you okay? Why did you zone out?" I blinked and lied through my teeth.

"Oh, um sorry. Thinking about an assignment." He nodded but I could tell he wasn't buying it. He started the car back up and began to rant to me about Nancy.

"I mean, I'm seeing her today! At school! What am I supposed to say to her! Will I ever be able to talk to her again?" I sat patiently and waited for him to finish.

"She-she... I don't know." He sunk back into his seat, defeated.

"What she did sucked Steve, you said you don't know why she said those things so chances are it isn't your fault. It was her loss anyways." He smiled lightly.

"Thanks Mayfield." I smiled back and brought my water bottle to my lips. Steve's smile turned into a smirk.

"And hows loverboy?" I chocked on my water and coughed while spluttering for a reply.

"W-hat" i coughed rather loudly and it wasn't because of the water. "Who? What- Steve-" He grinned and continued down the road.

"Oh sorry," His tone feigned innocence. "Hows Lucas?" He winked at me and I felt my face burn. My head snapped to the window.

"He's...fine." I finally answered.

"And what will you say to him when you get to school?" He pressed. "I mean you haven't spoken since-" my eyes widened and I looked back as he realized what was going on. "No way!" He laughed.

I buried my face into my hands. "Steve-" my muffled words were quickly interrupted.

"You called him last night didn't you?" I groaned and leaned my head back in my seat, still avoiding eye contact.

"Aw, does Max have a little boyfriend?"

"Steve!" I blushed wildly and saw my house coming up in the distance. "Thanks for the ride Steve! I'll see you later!" He pulled to a stop and I jumped out quickly. His laughter came muffled. But I could still hear. I climbed up my tree and through my window. I changed quickly for school and went back out the window, swiftly avoiding Niel and Billy. I snatched my skate board and kicked off the ground to go faster as the familiar shops blurred around me.

A/N: shorter one today guys, tysm for reading and I'll update again this week if I can! Anyone else dying of heat? I live in california and its way too hot.