Hangout Sometime?

Max's POV:

After three rings they picked up.

"Sinclair residence." I heard a sassy voice declare into the phone. "And who might this be?"

"O-oh, hi. I'm Max, is Lucas there?" I asked, considering if this was a good idea or not.

I heard a snot coming from her side of the phone. "And what do you want with my nerdy brother?" I paused. What did I want? What was I planning on saying?

"U-uhm... I don't know..." I facepalmed harshly at my answer. I was about to say never mind when I heard her yell. "Lucas!" I winced at her volume even though she had clearly pulled away from the phone.

"What?" He questioned back in a muffled yell, my heart started beating faster. What was I calling for? What was I going to say?

"A girls on the phone for you!" She called back and I heard a pause.

"Really?" Lucas's voice sounded through the phone.

"Yeah, I'm surprised too! Now get down here nerd!" She returned her face to the phone and her voice came clearer. "He's comin." I heard loud thuds of what I assume is Lucas running down the stairs.

"Thanks, Erica."

"Yeah, whatever." She responded sassily. I waited patiently, not daring to make a sound through this whole process, wanting to clear my thoughts of what I would say to Lucas and the fact that El and the chief were both sleeping.

"Hello?" He called into the phone, clearly curious of what girl would call him at midnight on Halloween night.

"Hi, it's Max." I responded, trying to keep my voice in check.

"Max!" He yelled but quickly grimaced at his volume. "I mean, hey max." I suppressed a giggle at his voice transformation. He was putting on a deep voice that implied he was chill and didn't care. I didn't do the best job at hiding my giggles as one slipped out. I could almost feel him smile into the phone as he let out a small chuckle as well.

"Wow." I dropped my own cool act. "Gotta admit, Stalker. That voice suits you." I sarcastically commented, a few more laughs falling out. He laughed too and played along in my game.

"Oh yeah," He responded with sarcastic confidence practically coming out of the phone. "I knew you'd love it!" I laughed along with him for a moment and he cautiously continued. "About, tonight." He sighed while I held my breath about what he was going to say. "I'm so sorry about Mike. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He's just pissed that you're talking to me and Dustin and lets just say he's not the best at talking to girls." I just stayed silent, trying to come up with a response, what am I supposed to say? 'Thank you?'

I think he noticed the absence of my response as he quickly came up with something to distract me with.

"Hey, now that I've got you on the phone I have something to tell you." He spoke lowly as if sharing a secret with me. The smirk was obvious in his tone.

"Oh?" I curiously responded. A smile finding a way onto my face.

"Yeah, now I've held off from asking you this, it might ruin everything." My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What the hell was he going to ask? I waited patiently but he was clearly waiting for my to say something back.

"Well, tell me!" I said a bit louder than I meant to but he just chuckled back.

"Okay, okay." He let out another small laugh. "Tell me Max..." He paused for obvious suspense and I had to refrain from groaning loudly. "What is your secret to beating dig dug?" I rolled my eyes, letting out an unamused laugh of relief and annoyance.

"Dude! What the hell?" I questioned as his laughs carried through the phone. "I thought you were going to tell me-" I cut myself off quickly, covering my mouth with my hands and shutting my eyes tightly. Extremely frustrated at the words I almost let slip.

"You thought I was going to say what?" His laughs died out with a hint of interest in his voice.

"Nothing," I quickly lied. "I just thought..." I was at a loss for excuses. I cursed myself repeatedly at what an idiot I was. I could practically hear his smirk coming from the other side of the phone but I could feel his snarkiness coming down as he seemed to remember what happened earlier that night.

"Hey, uh. What was with the black eye?"

I wasn't ready for this subject change and it took me a good minute to come up with an answer. "Huh?" Was my brilliant response.

"Uh, the black eye you had, it spread all the way down your cheek," He said slowly.

"Oh that black eye!" I said in fake realization.

"Yeah," Lucas said confused. "That black eye..."

"Oh, I ran into a door." I excused,

"Max-" I quickly cut him off,

"Okay, bye Lucas! Great talking to you,"

"Oh... Okay, bye Max." I nodded and then realized he couldn't me me.

"Okay," I went to slam the phone against the wall but he quickly added something.

"Max! Wait," I hesitated before bringing the phone back to my ear.

"Yeah?" I breathed out.

"M-maybe we could... Maybe we could hang out sometime..." I could tell he was grimacing at his words and I smiled softly.

"I-I don't know... I get the impression Mike doesn't exactly like me." I tried to joke.

"Screw Mike." He said confidently, "He won't be there anyways."

"Oh, who will be there?" I asked curiously, already knowing his answer.

"W-well I was hoping I could just be you and me..." He winces loudly and I almost giggle. My chest fills with glee and I become strangely giddy.

"Yeah... Yeah I would like that."

A/N: Sorry this chapter is absolute garbage.