The Hangout

Max's POV:

I arrived in the middle school parking lot and look over towards the highschool. I saw Billy's car and what do you know, a Billy! Fuming while leaning on the hood with girls attempting to flirt with him. Gross.

I continued my way up to the school and to my locker to grab my books and put my bag away. I entered the combination and groaned when it didn't open. I punched my locker and immediately hissed and pulled my fist back as a shot of pain came up my knuckles. I blew on my fist, Pretending that would do anything at all when someone leaned against the locker next to mine.

"Hey," A failed flirty voice called to me. I looked up to see a boy, only slightly taller than me with dark curly hair and a face that looked surprisingly punchable. I grimaced at his smolder.

"Hi." I returned to trying to open my locker but this guy still wouldn't get the hint and leave.

"I'm Troy." He sent a smug look along with a wink to me.

I raised my eyebrows doing nothing to stop the disgust pooling from my features.

"... Great." I responded again, finally getting my locker open.

"So you're new here, right?" I ignored his question, still silently begging for the school to burn down so I wouldn't have to talk to him. "I'll show you around sometime." He sounded annoyed that I ignored him and he said it like a statement instead of a question as it should have been said. I rolled my eyes.

"No." I replied simply, not wanting to hurt his feelings but never wanting to speak with him again. He looked at me in shock and I mirrored his face sarcastically. I turned and slammed my locker while speed walking in the opposite direction.

"You'll regret that!" What a drama queen.

"Doubt it!" I called back while flipping him off from without turning around.

I stomped into Mr. Clarke's room while cursing whoever the hell Troy is. I finally found my seat while other students crowded around speaking to each other. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Lucas enter the room and I had to bite back a smile growing on my face. His friends yanked him to their usual seats but Mr. Clarke had yet another announcement to make.

"Now that everyone is here, I thought we could use a change! Our curiosity voyage has many passengers and to all be able to properly sail through the sea of science we need to meet our fellow passengers-" I tuned him out at this point. He could have just said we're switching seats! I figured that out about three seconds into his speech and yet he continued to blabber on about paddles and an open minded captain. Apparently others had figured out that we were switching seats because there were groans and squeals all being silently exchanged. I rolled my eyes and stared at the ceiling until I felt eyes boring into my face. I looked around and my eyes landed on Lucas who was shyly grinning at me. I was too late to bite back my grin.

We all stood up as Mr. Clarke Listed off our lab partners for the rest of the year. "Michael and Eleanor." I looked over and saw El wildly blushing while sitting herself next to the pale boy who also couldn't seem to find words. "Christina and Madeline." He called off and two girl squealed while finding desks together in the front of the room. "Dustin and Kimberley." Dustin gave his partner a toothless smile. "Lucas and Maxine." My heart felt like it had dropped. Umm okay? I shuffled over to where Lucas was sitting and he sent a soft smile my way.

"Hey MADMAX." I heard him say over the loud thumping of my heart. I rolled my eyes and sent him a small smile back. "Hey stalker." He rolled his eyes sarcastically with a breathy laugh.

"Perfect! Now that we're all seated, lets begin!" Mr Clarke announced. We broke eye contact and looked back to him. I looked over and saw the boy with the bowl-cut, Will Byers. He was sitting in the second row next to a very pretty girl. Will looked very nervous and his eyes kept flicking across the room. I followed his gaze to see Mike who happened to be glaring at me while El, next to him was sending me a thumbs up. I grinned to her and my eyes trailed their way to Lucas who was taking notes, deeply concentrated in whatever Mr. Clarke was saying.