4

Mariah Miller

"Mariah, can you run to the store for me real quick? Your dad's sick and we've run out of cold medicine" She dug in her purse pulling out a $20 bill.

I didn't want to go anywhere, but I knew I had to for my dad. "Be back as soon as possible, it's getting late" I sighed and took the $20 out of her hand. "I know mom, I'll be back" She hugged me and pecked my forehead before letting me off on my own.

The walk to CVS wasn't long, about 10 minutes. I had school in the morning so I had just enough time to get back and complete my AP history homework.

Stepping over cracks and admiring the freshly green grass near the concrete, I finally arrived.

Quickly finding the day and night time cold medication, I hurried to the cash register and attempted to hand him my $20 bill, but to my surprise, my money was snatched out of my hand.

"Hey, what on earth-" I looked up, it was Zach. "I got it" he pulled out his card and handed it to the cashier before instantly handing me my small bag of cold medication.

"Hey Princess, nice to see you too" he chuckled while leading me outside with him. "Zach you didn't have to do that, I had my own money" He handed me my $20 back.

Shoving it in my pocket while giving him the death glare, I began to take off and walk myself home. A hand quickly wrapped around my shoulders, and by the cigarette/cologne smell, I already knew it was Zach.

Oh how much I loved his smell.

"If you don't want me around just say that" his whisper in my ear sent chills down my spine, he knew I couldn't resist him, this wasn't fair!

My throat groaned and my arms folded. "That's what I thought, now I'm going to drive you home. You shouldn't be out here anyways"

"My dad is sick, I needed to buy cold medication" he chuckled and pulled out his car keys. "Risking your life for cold medicine isn't safe dolly"

"Yeah but my daddy needs it, I want him to get better"

"I know baby, but that doesn't change my mind, it's still not safe"

He opened the door to his black corvette for me, and helped me put my seatbelt on, then did the same for him.

"Wow. How'd you get this car, it's so cool" he giggled and pushed a button to start it up. "Thank you sweetheart" he didn't answer my question...

______

"You can't drop me off in front of my house Zach! My dad is strict and you're not my boyfriend"

"Your 18 and your parents don't let you even bring a friend over?" This lie was getting bigger.

"Yea, they're strict Zach" He tilted his head and placed his middle and index finger on my chin forcing me to look at him.

"Fine, but please take my number" I sighed and handed him my phone. This was so wrong.

"Just call me if you want to talk, I enjoy talking to you. Like seriously" I rolled my eyes and stepped out of the car.

"We'll see, it depends if I want to talk" He smiled and pulled on his bottom lip with his teeth. "Well I hope you do then doll" he placed my phone back in my hand, I could only smile and try to calm down and slow my heartbeat which wouldn't stop beating 100 miles per hour.

"See you sweet face"

He sped off, leaving me to walk the extra block home. I kind of do wish I let him drive me all the way, but I also respected him for listening to me.

After my short walk home, and giving my dad his cold medicine, I was in my room trying (keyword, trying) to complete some homework, but my mind could only float to him. The way he walked, smoked his cigarettes, and the way the sweet names he gave me rolled off his tongue.

I've never had any romantic experiences, and I had to throw this feeling away. He was too old and I was too young.

But what he doesn't know won't hurt him, right?

All of this thinking was pissing me off and I just closed my AP history book and shoved it into my pink Jansport backpack. I was mad, mad that he crowded my mind. I decided I wouldn't text him at all and that it would be the best for me to not even reach out to him at all.

With an angry huff, I slid under my sheets and cuddled with my body pillow. This was bothering me so much and I couldn't do anything to stop it, this was craziness.

But maybe I could get used to craziness.