12

Mariah Miller

I didn't buy a swimsuit, and I was in an argument with myself about what I should wear. My mom was expecting me to be going to Destiny's house, and my mother had told me she wouldn't even be home when I left.

It was cold outside, so I slipped on a hoodie and some pink sweatpants, hoping to keep me warm. I knew that wasn't the attire for the occasion but it was too cold outside and I didn't even understand why people are swimming anyways.

Throwing my small backpack on my back and taking one last look in the mirror, I agreed I looked decent. Not perfect but decent.

Before I could call Destiny to approve of my outfit, Zach sent me a text.

Zach
I'm gonna be there a little late I have to pick up my friend's girlfriend as well
Hang in there sweetheart

Me
Okay

I sighed FaceTiming Destiny. Why couldn't this girl's boyfriend take her himself?

"Hello"

"Destiny i-is this outfit okay?" You could tell by the look on her face she wouldn't wear it.

"Um well isn't it a pool party?"

"Y-Yeah but I don't want to wear a swimsuit and I didn't find any at the mall today"

"Then what you're wearing is fine I guess. Is Zach on his way?"

"He said he has to pick up his friend's girlfriend before he picks me up" I sighed in frustration. I was praying my mom wouldn't come home before then.

About thirty minutes later I got the text he was outside. Me and Destiny hung up and I rushed outside after making sure I had all my things.

I walked down the street to our little meeting spot, but the passenger seat was occupied by a girl. He unlocked the doors and rolled down the passenger seat window where the girl was.

"Ava get in the back," He told her, but all she did was roll her eyes.

"I-I could get in the back. It's okay" I said trying to force a small smile on my face.

"No Ava will get in the back"

"Why, I was here first?"

"Ava get in the back or get out. My girlfriend's sitting in the passenger seat" My body tensed.

His girlfriend? I was his girlfriend or was he saying that to make her jealous?

My heart was beating fast as I watched the girl get out of her seat. She glared at me and flipped her brunette hair before getting in the back.

My heartbeat slowed and my eyes began to feel heavy. I got in the front and put my seatbelt on.

I could just feel the girl glaring from behind me and I started to feel sad. I wouldn't have come if I was a burden and she made me feel like I wasn't supposed to be here. Like I was in her way.

It wasn't a long car ride. It was probably only 20 minutes. And honestly, it did feel long. The girl was glaring at me through the review mirror the whole ride and scoffed every time Zach had something to say to me.

Zach helped me out of the car like he always did. He pulled a cigarette out of his pocket and lit it with his green lighter. The girl Ava getting out after us.

"Can I get one?" She asked. He pulled out his box of cigarettes and handed one to her.

Before I knew it his hand was interlocked with mine and we walked towards this huge house. I felt very intimidated and out of place but as long as no one really spoke to me here I'd be fine.

Ava walked ahead of us both and was the first person to walk through the door. My footsteps slowed and Zach stopped walking.

"Zach I-I've never been to a party before" I looked down not wanting to see his facial expression. I was expecting him to be upset that I have not told him earlier.

Instead, I heard him giggle.

"Aww that's fine, just stay next to me. I'm surprised you haven't been, to be honest"

I sighed out of relief that he didn't feel a certain way towards me for not telling him earlier.

"O-Okay"

_____

I've seen parties on Tv and I didn't expect them actually to be like.. Real. I thought they made them look more fun just for television but that wasn't true.

Grown-ups were everywhere and I'd never felt more out of place. I knew I shouldn't be here and since I was only 16 if something happened to me Zach would be in huge trouble.

Since we've gotten here, I've been next to him the whole time. I was hoping I wasn't annoying him but then again he did tell me to stay by his side.

He had to introduce me to everyone who walked up to him and he told them I was his friend but by the look in their eyes, they knew we were more than that.

"You going swimming love?" I hesitantly shook my head no.

"I didn't have a swimsuit, and I-I'm just getting over a cold" That wasn't true, the last time I was sick was months ago.

"If you're going to just sit down I'll sit with you"

"No Zach it's fine you can go have fun and swim, I'll be okay"

"I wanted to swim with you, but if you want to sit ill sit too" Butterflies.

He sat on a patio chair and patted his lap for me to sit down on him. Girls and guys were playing in the water and ever so often I noticed a girl would look over at Zach. They were much prettier than me and I was sure they would date Zach within the snap of a finger.

I wasn't anything compared to those girls.

"Hi Zach," One of the girls said from the pool, she giggled and smiled at him. I wondered if he knew her. She looked like a Victoria's Secret model.

Zach smiled back at her and nodded not even responding. She just rolled her eyes with that same stupid playful smile on her face.

Me and him aren't together so I can't be jealous.

I found myself staring at the piercings on his bottom lip. About a week ago I did some research and apparently, they're called snake bites. Staring at them reminded me of the day I had my first kiss with him.

And the first kiss reminded me of how much trouble we would be in if we got caught.