11

Mariah Miller

"Mariah?" I gasped turning around to see Destiny behind me. I've been avoiding her for the past week. I wonder if she noticed.

"H-Hey"

"I haven't heard from you, and every time I see you and call your name, you walk faster?"

"W-What no!"

"Mariah if something is wrong just tell me. If I did something or overstepped a boundary you know its okay to let me know"

"N-No! I've just been busy"

"Okay, well I hope we can get back to normal now. If there's something I need to know tell me. I'll see you at lunch I gotta go to class and you know how Mr. Kennedy is" We both chuckled and she walked off.

Close one Mariah

——-

"So how's you and Zach?" Destiny asked taking a bite of one of her blueberries that I was so tempted to ask for.

"Were good. He's very nice"

"He tried anything yet?"

"Like what?"

"Like...."

"Ew NO"

"Well he gave you a hickey so that means something"

Why was she not as worried about our age difference as much as I was?

"I feel a good thing with Zach, but I'm afraid that this lie is getting bigger"

"What lie?" She asked squinting her eyes. Did she forget?

I leaned over to her ear and whispered "He's 24"

"Stop freaking out! You're going to be 17 in two weeks just one more year and you'll be fine"

_____

"Did you have a good day today?" Zach said, his voice making me sleepy like it always did.

"Y-Yeah. I um... Went shopping with my mom" I lied fiddling with my fingers. He always called me at night before bed to check on me, and every time he spoke the butterflies increased.

"Cool" I could hear him tuning his guitar in the background, it only made me sleepier. But I didn't want to tell him because I didn't want to hang up the phone.

Women stay up late and talk to their boyfriends, right?

"Has that guy touched you again?" I tensed up.

"No, I-I haven't seen him"

"Good, remember to tell me if he does. I don't like you in bad situations like that. You deserve better"

"I will"

We fell back into our comfortable silence, me fighting sleep, and him tuning his guitar.

"What are you doing right now?"

Think Mariah, Think Mariah, Think Mariah.

"I'm um... Watching Dr.Phil" Good lie, my mom watches Dr.Phil all the time.

Why was he laughing at me?

"You, watch Dr.Phil?"

"Y-Yeah all the time! And that Steve Harvey show um what's it called-"

"Family Feud?"

"Y-yeah that"

"Okay I didn't think you'd be one to watch those shows but whatever floats your boat"

"What you thought I'd watch my little pony or Powerpuff girls or something?"

"Nah, more like Love Island or Love is Blind"

What shows even are those?

"No, I prefer more grown-up shows"

He hummed an 'mhm' before I heard shuffling, probably his blankets on his bed.

"I want to see you again tomorrow. I was invited to a pool party and wanted you to come with me"

My heart just skipped a beat again.

"S-Sure"

"Really? How about 6 pm?"

"That's fine"

_____

"Oh my God! We need to go bikini shopping" Destiny yelled alerting the whole parking lot. School ended 5 minutes ago and now we were supposed to be walking home.

"Absolutely not!"

"Mariah you can't go to a pool party without a swimsuit"

"I'm not even worried about that, I'm worried about how I'm going to leave without my mom knowing"

"Just say you're at my house again"

"Yeah but it's starting to get suspicious, I need another excuse" I sighed dropping my shoulders

"I mean my moms finally giving me the freedom to go places and I'm lying about everything!"

"Can't you just tell her you have a boyfriend-"

"Did you forget again?! Zach is 24!"

"Oh yeah. Just um... Sneak out"

Sneak out? I only did that one night to go to the movies with Destiny.

"But it would be too early to sneak out, he's picking me up at 6-"

"Mariah your only good option is to use me as an excuse again, just say you're at my house"

"I guess, I just hope I don't get caught"

Destiny talked me into going to the mall. It wasn't too far away from our school and often we'd go to get food after school. She said we were only 'looking' at swimsuits but knowing her she'd talk me into buying one.

"Let's go to Victoria's Secret, they have cute ones" I groaned and let her drag my arm into the store, lacey bras, and underwear all over the place.

Everything that if my mom caught me, I would be getting a long talk.