Chapter twenty-six🫶🏼

Sergio's pov

If I had my phone on me I would take a picture of chicken's face and frame it. Her face dropped as she looked around at 'Rain' and Lilith. She called that guard Rain and we all had no clue why or how that came to be but it stuck.

She made eye contact with Zion and her face was mixed with slight fear and a lot of shock. Luca wanted to have her 'friends' around her so that she would feel more comfortable. I don't think that worked out too well.

I wanted to punch Rain in his face for the look he gave Eve. He looked at her with protectiveness and like he cared about her. After a few seconds, I kicked him under the table making him glance over at the wall. He's had this weird bond with her ever since he was a kid. I hated it.

Salvatore pulled out the chair that was in between him and Alessandro and pointed to it. My poor chicken looked around like the walls were going to eat her. I cleared my throat making her look down at the chair and chuckle nervously before sitting down.

Lilith started typing on her phone and then she slyly passed it to Evelyn from her spot next to her brother. Evelyn read it and started to chuckle as her face grew red from her holding in her laugh.

Luca looked at her with a blank expression, obviously not amused by the childish behavior but after a few seconds of her turning brighter and brighter concern flashed through his eyes. He leaned back and crossed his legs as he waited for her to compose herself.

Lilith let out a small laugh and with that small laugh broke Evelyn's hold as she let out a loud laugh. Her laugh sounded cute but it sounded like an old door. I looked over to see Rain covering Lilith's mouth while his eyes grew large in fear.

Although my expression are serious, on the inside I wanted to die of laughter as chicken's head landed on the table while trying to regain her breath. Alessandro leaned down and whispered something in her ear that made her clear her throat and nod slowly while looking up.

Angelo sighed while looking down at his plate, although he seemed to be disappointed I saw the tip of his lips slightly before dropping back down. Romeo kept quiet as he took small glances at Evelyn but his main focus was on Zion.

The maids broke through the tight tension that was placed over us by setting down the delicious lasagna on each of our plates. Once they were done they quickly bowed their heads and walked out of the room, leaving us in awkward silence.

Everyone sat still until Luca picked up his fork and started to eat, silently telling everyone to follow. My brothers and I all glanced at Evelyn as we watched her push her food around while trying to make it look as though she was eating. I didn't miss the way Luca silently sighed or the way his shoulders slightly dropped from their tense state.

Finally, the thick air was cut by Angelo speaking. "So Evelyn, Mr.Brown tells me you and Zion are working together on a project? Mind telling us about it?" Leo had told Luca and Luca told all of us that Ev and Zion would be working together on some coding project together.

Evelyn had a small smile on her face that didn't reach her eyes as she looked up and started talking to Angelo. "Yeah, we have one of these every few days or weeks. They are really easy and Zion does most of the work because it is a bit hard." I knew right off the bat that it was a lie but I decided to stay quiet.

I heard a scuff and I glanced over to where the sound came from to see Zion looking at Evelyn while shaking his head. "Nice try, your sister barely lets me help, and when she does it's usually just to check over her already correct answer. You got a lot of skill, don't play dumb." Everyone grew silent as we all turned our heads back to a bright red, tight lipped Evelyn who was trying to sink into her chair.