Chapter One; A New World

Clinks and clanks of pans hitting each other greeted my ears once I woke up. 6:26 am my alarm clock read. It was a few minutes before I normally woke up, so with a huff I got out of bed. Pulling off my pajamas and slipping into my school uniform, I left my room to see why Mum was home. Normally, she'd be gone or just leaving by the time I woke so I was caught a bit off guard.

"Morning Mum." I greeted, entering the kitchen. I tried to peer around her to see what she was cooking but was unable to see anything.

"Y/N! Good morning, my little sunshine!" She squealed, turning her head to take a look at me. "How's my little boy this morning?" Curling in on myself with her excited tone, I took a moment to think of my response.

"The usual, I guess." She hummed and turned her attention back to the food she was cooking. I was curious as to why she was cooking and wasn't rushing to get to work but I decided against asking. Sitting in silence at the kitchen table I looked around, trying to find something interesting.

The kitchen, dining room and living room was the same room, small and cramped with very little space to maneuver around the furniture. The kitchen was technically its own area but there was no wall to separate it. The beige walls were covered in photos of Mum and I, ranging from when I was born to a few months ago. A small box TV sat in the corner on a small table, a VCR player attached sitting on the floor. A small pile of VHS tapes of home videos Mum made sat beside.

"Honey, breakfast is done." Mum spoke quietly, trying not to startle me. Turning back to Mum, I noticed the food in front of me. A small plate of bacon, eggs and toast sat in front of me, as well as Mum. A small exhale of excitement escaped my lips, happy with the food in front of me.

"I'm sorry it's not much but-"

"I love it." I cut her off. "Thank you very much."

With a soft smile, Mum sat down and poured each of us a cup of juice, placing it in front of us. We sat in silence as we ate, a smile on both of our faces. When we finished eating and dishes were cleaned and dried, we sat on the old, worn brown wool couch.

"Happy birthday dear." Mum said to me. I looked at her with confusion before I realized. It was my birthday. I had forgotten. Acting as if I knew all along, I gave her a gracious smile and thanked her. We sat in silence for a little bit, most of it comfortable but it was tense as well. Not enough you would notice but there were some. This was the most time we had spent in quite awhile.

"Mind checking to see if we have mail for me?" Mum asked. I nodded and stood to get the mail, which wasn't a far walk. Rifling through the mail to organize it, I stopped across a letter. On the front, the address stated

Y/N L/N

The Room Down The Hall

Cherry Avenue

Carterton

Curious, I held it in the hand opposite of holding the rest of the mail. How did they know which room he lived in? He had never shared his address and this wasn't even close to what it should actually be. Placing useless newsletters on the table, handing Mum any letters she had gotten. I sat down beside her, turning around the letter in my hand.

A red wax seal held the envelope closed. A crest with an eagle, badger, lion and a snake divided by a giant huge h. Carefully breaking the seal, I pulled the parchment free of the envelope and opened it carefully.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore