Chapter Seven; Odd Antics

December rolled in quickly. The air turned cold and nipped at our ears whenever students decided to go outside. The lake was frozen and several feet of snow covered the ground, making it slightly difficult to get to Herbology.

Terry had invited me to a study session in the library, along with Padma, Michael and Anthony. It wasn't as warm as I wished in the library, despite the fireplace in the corner. If this was a study session where we were in the dormitory and I could wrap myself in blankets, I would've preferred it over this.

The five of us were huddled around a table near the back of the library, far enough that Madam Pince wouldn't hear us. Parchment ruffled as Padma dug through her notes, getting frustrated as each piece of parchment wasn't what she was looking for.

"Oh my god, did someone take my potions notes? You know I suck at potions!" She exclaimed.

"You still get A's, you're fine."

"It's still my worst class, Michael! Now who took my potions notes?!"

"Shh!!" Madam Pince shushed Padma, hearing her shouting from across the room.

"Sorry."

Padma huffed, slouching in her chair before continuing the search for her missing notes. Knowing Padma, she wouldn't be able to relax before finding the notes. Finding my own potions notes, I handed them to Padma.

"Are these the same notes you need?" She nods. Taking my notes back, I pointed my wand towards the parchment. "Geminio."

An exact replica of my notes appeared in front of the originals. The four Ravenclaws looked at me, mouth agape.

"How - ? What - ? H-how did you do that?" Terry asked, voicing everyone else's question.

"Just replicated it. It won't last forever so copy it down before it disintegrates."

"Is there no way to not make it disintegrate?"

"There is, that's the Geminio Curse though." Handing Padma the replica, I stuffed my notes back in my bag. An unfinished Transfiguration essay awaited me, which was nearly half done. I already had most of the information I needed, but there was a book I needed to complete it.

"I'm going to get a book." Standing from the table, I left the group to find the book. Searching up and down the aisles filled with worn books, I found nothing. There were a few more aisles I had left to search, aside from the Restricted Section.

Turning into a corner, I stopped in my tracks. Harry, Ron and Hermione were huddled together, whispering to each other. They didn't notice me, continuing their conversation.

"-- n't understand why we can't find him, he shouldn't be that hard to find, should he?"

"What are you doing?" The trio jumped and spun around, expecting to see an older student or a teacher but relaxed when they realized it was me. Harry and Ron sighed, while Hermione glared and returned to a list she had in her hand.

"Don't worry about it, leave us be." Ron replied.

"I have a feeling I should be worried."

"It's not your business, Y/N."

"True, but the more you say it's nothing, the more I think you're hiding something."

The trio looked at each other, sharing weary glances. They've been inseparable since Halloween, always glued to each other's side. Ignoring me, they huddled with their backs facing me, whispering once again.

"Promise not to tell anyone?" I nod. "We're looking for someo – er – something."

Squinting my eyes in suspicion, I briefed the shelves before leaving the aisle. Checking in with Madam Pince to see if the book was out or simply somewhere I haven't checked yet. It was the former.