Chapter Eight; Christmas

Christmas break rolled in. Several students of all years left, going down to the Hogsmeade station that took them to King's Cross. Neville had to leave Hogwarts for the break, much to my disappointment.

"Er- well I hope you have a good break." Neville said before he left.

"I will. Have fun with your family back at home. Make sure to write." The train whistle blew and any students that hadn't boarded the train rushed into the compartments.

"Well- see you after break." Neville waved good-bye, boarding the train moments before it started rolling down the tracks. Waving while watching the train leave the station, seeing it leave my view in the distance. Dropping my arm, starting my trek in the cold and snow back towards Hogwarts, pulling the blue scarf around my neck closer to me.

Exhaling a sigh, I stared up at the sky. Snow started falling towards the ground, a few snowflakes landing in my eyes.

"Bloody hell!" I stumbled around, momentarily losing sight as the snowflake melted into water in my eyes. Blinking rapidly, trying to clear the liquid from my eyes to regain focus. The few students around me were wide-eyed, most of them having stopped in their tracks to watch me stumble about.

Blood rushing to my cheeks and I quickened my pace to get to Hogwarts as quickly as possible. Even once I got past the gates, my pace stayed steady as I climbed the several flights of stairs to hide in my dormitory from the embarrassment. Closing the door behind me, falling face first on to my bed. I let out a chorus of groans, mentally reliving my embarrassing moment over and over.

Rolling over and staring up at the ceiling of the dorm, mulling over nothing. I was supposed to go home for the holidays, however Mum sent a letter explaining she had to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas again.

Although, I won't hide my disappointment, I understand she'd rather I spent time with my friends. Who had all gone home for the holidays. She didn't need to know about that however. I had Helena, she would keep me company just as I would for her.

Helena told me several stories from her life and things she had seen in Hogwarts after it. From her time as a student here, learning under her mother and how much of the castle had changed over the centuries. One of the topics she avoided was her death, which seemed to be a sensitive topic for some of the other ghosts as well. I didn't bring it up again after I asked the first time, remembering the look of disappointment on her face. Although I know it wasn't directed towards me, I felt as though it was.

A knock sounded throughout the room. Looking towards the dorm door with my eyebrow raised, I saw the door open. Harry had stopped by for a visit. Since seeing the trio at the beginning of December, I had begun to hang out more with Harry and Ron. Although this is the first time we've met in any of the dorms.

"How'd you get in?" I asked, propping myself up on my elbows.

"Uh- one of the prefects was nearby and let me in." He explained, stepping out from behind the door. "Here's some food by the way, I saw you weren't at dinner." He offered a plate of food, a fork and knife in his other hand.

"Thanks." I mumbled, taking the plate from him. Harry just awkwardly stood by the door, looking around the dorm. The dorm must've been something amazing to him because there was a glint of amazement in his eyes.

"It's like you've never seen a dorm before." I mumbled, shoveling food into my mouth. Harry snapped out of his thoughts, turning a light shade of pink.

"No, no! Just we don't have bookshelves in our dorm." He pointed to the four bookshelves around the room, each filled with varying amounts of books. "Who's bookshelf is this?" He asked, standing in front of the bookshelf that was crammed full of books, several on top and on the floor surrounding it. There was no space that wasn't filled with books on that bookshelf.