Chapter Two; A New Friend

Train whistles and thin wisps of stream floated around the crowds of people in King's Cross station. A smoky smell faintly made itself known to those taking their time and observing every inch of the station. Brick pillars showed the numbers of each platform.

Finding an unused trolley, I packed my trunk and bags, placing Soot's wicker basket on top. The black cat was resting after spending all night keeping me awake by running around my room. I should be mad but Soot was simply too cute to stay mad at for long.

Reading the platform numbers, I came to the quick realization there was no Platform 9 and three quarters.

"Mum." I spoke, getting the attention of her. She looked at me and silently encouraged me to continue. "There is no Platform 9 and three quarters." A frown made itself present on her face. Looking around, she came to the same conclusion I had.

"You don't think it was a prank, do you?" I mumbled, directing my gaze to the floor. A pair of hands touched my shoulders. Mum was looking down at me, her eyes furrowed as she registered in her mind what I said.

"No no, remember the alley? If it was a prank, that wouldn't have been there. Brighten up, sunshine. I'm sure we'll figure it out, we have plenty of time." She reassured me. I nodded, not fully trusting her words.

A large group of red-heads passed by but I paid no mind to it. If I hadn't known, I would've wondered if that was Mum's long lost family, their hair colors being similar.

"-packed with Muggles, of course-" I overheard and redirected my gaze at the family. While giving Mum's sweater a tug, I followed behind them while guiding the trolley. It was quite easy to keep them in my sight with the very distinct fiery hair.

They stopped a decent bit away, giving me a second to fully take a look at them. It was a group of four boys, as well as a small girl. The group was seemingly led by an older woman, having the same fiery hair as the children. I stopped a few feet away from them, close enough where they could hear me if I spoke but wouldn't see me until I spoke.

"-now be quiet. All right, Percy, you go first." She directed. With a nod, the boy – who must've been Percy – went through the barrier they had stopped at. I took note it was between Platform 9 and Platform 10.

Mum nudged my side with her elbow and pointed at another boy that was approaching the group. It was smaller, only one boy, the mother and the little girl.

"Excuse me?" Asked the boy. His voice was quiet but polite.

"Hullo dear." She greeted the black haired boy. "First time at Hogwarts? Ron's new too!"

"Yes, well you see-"

"Excuse me?" I piped up, also wanting to know how to get onto the platform. "I'm new as well, but neither of us know how to get onto the platform." I stated, motioning to the air between the boy and I.

Mum just stood to the side, making eye contact with the red-haired woman who seemed shocked to see another ginger.

"Er, yes, well not to worry. All you have to do is walk straight at the barrier between platforms 9 and 10. Don't stop and don't be scared you'll crash into it, that's very important. Best do it at a bit of a run if you're nervous. Go on, go now before Ron." She finished, waving the boy and I over.

Mum gave me a look that told me she was a bit uncertain of the way in but I did my best to give her a reassuring smile. The boy gave way to a light jog and disappeared into the barrier, just like the first boy I watched. Placing a hand on my shoulder, Mum gave it a reassuring squeeze. With a deep breath, I guided the trolley towards the barrier, quickening my pace with each step. Closer and closer the barrier got and the more scared I became.