Penny Parker

1st person Penny

I had always been told pretty awful things about Tony Stark if I'm honest.

I, myself always looked up to the guy, but he seemed to be pretty controversial to the people I spoke to him about. I had always seen him as impressive but when he walked out of that cave alive, with a new mindset. Well let's just say that my adoration for the dude skyrocketed.

Soon every wall of my room was covered and I mean covered with posters of the latest Stark Expo, the latest 'Iron Man Victory', news clippings of the defeat of Obadiah, Whiplash and the Mandarin. I was completely obsessed with a celebrity that had no idea that I existed.

So when I came home to the smell of May's poor attempt at baking, can you tell me why a Mr Anthony Stark was sitting on my couch?

"Miss Parker, pleased to meet you." He said, staring straight at me, with a look in his eyes that said, don't say a word, play along.

"Hey?" I replied, too dumbfounded to think of an intelligible answer. The billionaire sat there, as if expecting me to say more.

Thankfully May chipped in, cutting the awkward silence.

"Mr Stark tells me you applied for the internship? What's all that about huh? You keeping secrets now?" She said with a gasp, feigning offence.

Meanwhile Tony seemed to be attempting to...winking? ...with both eyes. Each one alternated in closing in a desperate attempt to communicate the fact that I was suppose to go along with whatever this was. I mean this man is part of some of the most secretive organisations in the world with rumours of him being part of the Illuminati and owning Area 51 and yet he can't wink? Or be subtle in the slightest way for that fact.

By some absolute miracle, May didn't notice his embarrassing show that he was putting on for me.

"May you know I would never keep secrets from you!" I said with a laugh, despite feeling hollow inside knowing the secret that I hadn't in fact told her.

And to my annoyance, the man's eyes just bore further into me as if he knew I was lying. The absolute audacity. I was rapidly losing love for the hero I'd admired. Not because of him but because of the fact he could see right through me. I liked my privacy and the secrets I kept locked behind the walls of my mind. No one needed to know that shit especially not the man I'd admired for like...oh I don't know..my entire existence?

With that, he stood up and gestured to the door of
my room.

"Why don't we step in here and we can discuss terms of the internship? Don't want to bore your mum with all that do you?"

"Aunt." I quickly corrected, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks.

And in that moment, something very strange happened.  The well put together, exterior of business and professionalism covered in sarcasm and wit flickered and his eyes softened for a slither of a second.

"I'm sorry" He said, sounding genuine. He then cleared his throat and led me into my room, all glimpses of sentiment gone without a trace.

After ensuring the door was closed firmly behind him, he began.

"Miss Parker. I believe you have a special talent that if you told me about right now we could just cut a lot of effort and questioning that I just don't have the time or patience for."

Right, straight into then. Talk about efficient.

"I don't know what you mean." I said calmly, at this point I had no solid evidence he was here about my spidery activities, could just be about my engineering practises or science experiments.